What’s a Bucket List?
If you haven’t heard about the term “bucket list”, it is a list of all the goals you want to achieve, dreams you want to fulfill and life experiences you desire to experience
Why Create a Bucket List?
A “Bucket List” is a list of things to do before kicking the proverbial bucket, and it’s unique to each individual. This article shows you how to write your own personal Bucket List, and offers some suggestions on turning your ‘Someday I will…’
- Target different areas of your life. Usually when people start their lists, the vast majority of the first things they write down are things related to travel. I want to go here, and here etc. Hobbies, finances, careers, relationships, activities, these are all great things to consider when building out a lifetime list.But try and expand in to other aspects of your life.
- Make some easier to achieve than others As you start checking things of your list, you will be surprised how much momentum you can gain, making it easier to accomplish some of the ones that require more effort.
- Set goals. Without goals the list doesn’t work. If you don’t set a timeline or don’t start taking action, you never will. So create a goal of accomplishing 5 things a year. Come up with a realistic plan for how you are going to do it, and stick to it.
- Use both broad and targeted goals.So you want to see the Eiffel Tower, go to NYC, great, add them to the list. Those are very targeted items.
- Have fun! The whole idea of this is to start making steps to do the things you want to do with your life. So don’t stress about it, this is all about you and your life. Every one is going to use their list differently, so if you are finding it hard to accomplish a particular goal, work on something else! You have plenty of time.
Start writing down what comes to mind as you read these questions:
- Any countries, places or locations you want to visit?
- What are your biggest goals and dreams?
- What do you want to see in person?
- What achievements do you want to have?
- What experiences do you want to have / feel?
- Are there any special moments you want to witness?
- What activities or skills do you want to learn or try out?
- What are the most important things you can ever do?
- What would you like to say/do together with other people? People you love? Family? Friends?
- Are there any specific people you want to meet in person?
- What do you want to achieve in the different areas: Social, Love, Family, Career, Finance, Health (Your weight, Fitness level), Spiritual?
- What do you need to do to lead a life of the greatest meaning?
Travel all around the world
Traveling — it’s the single best activity that exposes you to new cultures, broaden your mind, move out of your comfort zone, allow you to meet new people, and experience the wonders of the world.
Learn a new language –
Learning a new language is never easy but it’s so satisfying when you are able to converse with someone in a foreign language! I admire people who are multi-lingual. 😦
Take up a new sport
Sports is a great way to keep fit! Whether you’re an indoor or outdoor person, there is a sport for everyone. Here are some sports to try out:
- Technique sports: Archery, Golf, Bowling, Billiard, Skateboarding, Skating, Roller-blading, Ice skating
- Racket sports: Squash, Badminton, Tennis, Table tennis
- Water sports: Water rafting, Kayaking, Wakeboarding, Sailing, Swimming, Scuba diving, Snorkeling
- Group sports: Soccer, Rugby, Baseball, Basketball
Make a difference in someone’s life
Making a difference is more than doing a kind deed, though it can come as a result of a kind deed. When you make a difference in someone’s life, you change the person’s life for the better… permanently.
Be a mentor to someone
Teaching is one of the most rewarding things we can do. No matter how old you are, even if you are in your teens, you are always in the position to mentor someone else — perhaps someone who is more junior than you or someone who is older but can benefit from a particular expertise you have. Mentoring others is also a great way for you to develop yourself too.
Many communities are always looking for volunteer mentors, so check with your local community programs for such opportunities
Pursue your passion
What is your passion? Is it to be an artist? To sing and perform? To be a life coach? To travel? To help other people to grow (same as my passion)? To be the best that you can be? How can you start pursuing it?
Sing to an audience
If you love singing, don’t keep your passion to yourself! The next time there is an event, offer to sing as one of the performance items. Singing shouldn’t be limited to when you are showering in the bathroom.
Do volunteer work
Volunteer work is one of the best ways to expose yourself to a new medium of helping other people.
Befriend a stranger
Who says that there needs to be a reason to start a friendship? A connection can start anytime, anywhere, in any way. I have many great friendships that started off from the most random of situations.
Walk/Dance barefoot in the rain
Do you know that barefoot running improves your landing, gives you better posture, and creates less stress on your knees/feet/joints as compared to running with shoes?
Experience a sunrise/sunset
Sunrises and sunsets are some of the most beautiful gifts from mother nature. And the best thing? We get them free every day.
See the Northern Lights
A natural phenomenon, the northern lights is a magnificent sight to behold, which is why people from all around the world travel great distances just for a chance to witness this phenomenon.
Get a pet
I love animals but never saw the point of having a pet… after all, they take time, cost money, and are overall just a huge commitment!
Learn sign language
Sign language is a language that uses body language (as opposed t0 verbal communication) to convey messages