Tupac Amaru Shakur born Lesane Parish Crookswas an American rapper, record producer and actor.As of 2007, Shakur has sold over 75 million records worldwide.His double disc albums All Eyez on Me and his Greatest Hits are among the best selling albums in the United States. He has been listed and ranked as one of the greatest artists of all time by many magazines, including Rolling Stone which ranked him 86th on its list of The 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.He is consistently ranked as one of the greatest rappers ever, as well as one of the most influential rappers of all time.
Do known he career as a roadie, backup dancer, and MC for the alternative hip hop group Digital Underground, eventually branching off as a solo artist.The themes of most of Shakur’s songs revolved around the violence and hardship in inner cities, racism, and other social problems. Both of his parents and several other people in his family were members of the Black Panther Party, whose ideals were reflected in his songs. During the latter part of his career, Shakur was a vocal participant during the East Coast–West Coast hip hop rivalry, becoming involved in conflicts with other rappers, producers, and record-label staff members, most notably The Notorious B.I.G. and the label Bad Boy Records.
On September 7, 1996, Shakur was fatally shot in a drive-by shooting at the intersection of Flamingo Road and Koval Lane in Las Vegas, Nevada. He was taken to the University Medical Center of Southern Nevada, where he died six days later.
BET named 2Pac ‘The Most Influential Rappers of All Time’. They then went on to say “his confounding mixture of ladies’ man, thug, revolutionary and poet has forever altered our perception of what a rapper should look like, sound like and act like. In 50 Cent, Ja Rule, Lil Wayne, newcomers like Freddie Gibbs and even his friend-turned-rival Biggie, it’s easy to see that Pac is the most copied MC of all time. There are murals bearing his likeness in New York, Brazil, Sierra Leone, Bulgaria and countless other places; he even has statues in Atlanta and Germany. Quite simply, no other rapper has captured the world’s attention the way Tupac did and still does.
On April 15, 2012, a “hologram” of Shakur (technically a 2-D video projection) performed his songs “Hail Mary” and “2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted” with Snoop Dogg at the Coachella Music Festival
”There are murals bearing his likeness in New York, Brazil, Sierra Leone, Bulgaria and countless other places; he even has statues in Atlanta and Germany. Quite simply, no other rapper has captured the world’s attention the way Tupac did and still does.”
- In 2003, MTV’s “22 Greatest MCs” countdown listed Shakur as the “Number 1 MC”, as voted by the viewers.
- In 2004, at the VH1 Hip Hop Honors Shakur was honored along with DJ Hollywood, Kool DJ Herc, KRS-One, Public Enemy, Run-D.M.C., Rock Steady Crew, and Sugarhill Gang.
- A Vibe magazine poll in 2004 rated Shakur “the greatest rapper of all time” as voted by fans.
- Editors of About.com ranked him No. 5 on their list of the Top 50 MCs of Our Time (1987–2007)
- In 2012, The Source ranked him No. 5 in their list of the top 50 hip hop lyricists of all time.
- In a 2005 Rolling Stone magazine vote, Shakur was named No. 86 of the “100 Immortal Artists of All Time” behind Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, and John Lennon. MTV ranked him at No. 2 on their list of The Greatest MCs of All Time.
- Shakur was inducted into the Hip-Hop Hall of Fame in 2002
- VH1 ranked him 69th on the VH1 100 Greatest Artists of All-Time.
- On June 23, 2010, Shakur was inducted to the Library of Congress’s National Recording Registry.
- Among the artists included are Mozart, Muse and Dame Shirley Bassey; the list also includes Shakur’s song “Changes”, which was released two years after his shooting death on a greatest hits album in 1998
- His double album, All Eyez on Me, is one of the highest-selling rap albums of all time, with over 5 million copies of the album sold in the United States alone by April 1996; it was eventually certified 9x platinum in June 1998 by the RIAA
- In July 2014 it was recertified 10x platinum
- Shakur’s hit song “Dear Mama” is one of 25 songs that were added to the National Recording Registry in 2010. The Library of Congress has called Dear Mama “a moving and eloquent homage to both the murdered rapper’s own mother and all mothers struggling to maintain a family in the face of addiction, poverty and societal indifference.” The honor came seven days after what would have been Shakur’s 39th birthday. Shakur is the third rapper to enter the library, outside the copyright office, behind Grandmaster Flash and Public Enemy
- In 2016, Shakur was nominated for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility`
Statue of Shakur at the MARTa museum in Herford, Germany.
at East Harlem, New York City
at Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro
|1991||Nothing but Trouble||Himself (in a fictional context)||(Brief Appearance). As part of the group Digital Underground.|
|1992||Juice||Roland Bishop||First starring role|
|1993||Poetic Justice||Lucky||Co-starred with Janet Jackson|
|1993||A Different World||Piccolo||Episode: Homie Don’t Ya Know Me?|
|1994||Above the Rim||Birdie||Co-starred with Duane Martin|
|1995||Murder Was the Case: The Movie||Sniper||(Uncredited). Segment “Natural Born Killaz”.|
|1996||Bullet||Tank||Released one month after Shakur’s death|
|1997||Gridlock’d||Ezekiel “Spoon” Whitmore||Released four months after Shakur’s death|
|1997||Gang Related||Detective Jake Rodriguez||Shakur’s last performance in a film|
|2003||Tupac: Resurrection||Himself||Archive footage|