- Eddie Redmayne as Newt Scamander[An eccentric, introverted wizard, the future author of the textbook Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, and an employee at the British Ministry of Magic.
- Katherine Waterston as Porpentina “Tina” Goldstein :A down-to-earth and grounded witch and former Auror working for the Magical Congress of the United States of America (MACUSA), who longs to fight for what’s right but forced to work in an office well below her skill level.
- Dan Fogler as Jacob Kowalski: A newly single No-Maj factory worker and aspiring baker who is exposed to the New York City magical community after he meets Newt.]
- Alison Sudolas Queenie Goldstein: Porpentina’s younger sister and roommate, described as a bombshell, free-spirited and big-hearted, and is accomplished in Legilimency.
- Colin Farrell as Percival Graves: A high-ranking Auror and the Director of Magical Security for MACUSA, who is in charge of the protection of wizards and set with the task of tracking down Newt.
- Carmen Ejogo as President Seraphina Picquery: The President of MACUSA.
- Samantha Mortonas Mary Lou Barebone A narrow-minded No-Maj and the sinister leader of the New Salem Philanthropic Society (the NSPS, or “The Second-Salemers”), an extremist group whose goals include exposing and killing wizards and witches.
- Ezra Miller as Credence Barebone: Mary Lou’s troubled and mysterious adopted son.
- Ron Perlman as Gnarlack: A goblingangster who owns a speakeasy nightclub, and comes across Newt.
- Jon Voight as Henry Shaw, Sr.: The father of US senatorHenry Shaw, Jr. and Langdon Shaw.
- Josh Cowdery as Henry Shaw, Jr.: A US senator who holds a rally picketed by the New Salem Philanthropic Society.
- Ronan Rafteryas Langdon Shaw: The youngest of Henry Shaw, Sr.’s sons who begins to believe in magic.
- Johnny Deppas Gellert Grindelwald: A Dark wizard who is one of the most dangerous wizards of all-time (second only to Voldemort) and who was very close to Albus Dumbledore.
- Faith Wood-Blagrove as Modesty A haunted young girl with the ability to see deep into people, who has an inner strength and stillness.
- Jenn Murray as Chastity
- Sean Cronin as Criminal
- Gemma Chan
- Zoë Kravitz
Friendship with Dumbledore & Grindelwald
- “He didn’t like that. Grindelwald didn’t like that at all. He got angry. He told me what a stupid little boy I was, trying to stand in the way of him and my brilliant brother… Didn’t I understand, my poor sister wouldn’t have to be hidden once they’d changed the world, and led the wizards out of hiding, and taught the Muggles their place? And there was an argument… and I pulled my wand, and he pulled out his….“
- —Aberforth Dumbledore reminiscing to the trio about his brother’s past
Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore was born to Kendraand Percival Dumbledore in the summerof 1881, in the mainly wizarding village of Mould-on-the-Wold.The early years of Dumbledore’s life were marked by tragedy when his younger sister, Ariana Dumbledore, was attacked by a group of Muggle boys, who saw her performing magic and were frightened by what they saw.Ariana was left mentally and emotionally scarred by the event and her magical powers were left severely altered and would manifest themselves on rare occasions usually in random or destructive ways. Albus’ father, Percival Dumbledore, was heartbroken and set out in search of his own brand of justice. He located the Muggle boys and attacked them, as they had his daughter. For this, Percival was sentenced to Azkaban where he later died, choosing the sentence over explaining why he had attacked the boys as it would have meant Ariana being taken away.
After graduating from Hogwarts in June 1899, Dumbledore planned to take the traditional “Grand Tour” of the world with his friend Doge. However tragedy ensued on the eve of the departure when Kendra Dumbledore was killed by an outburst of Ariana’s uncontrollable magic, leaving Albus the head of his own broken family.
Albus returned to Godric’s Hollow full of bitter resentment at his situation, feeling trapped and wasted. Fortune finally shone on Dumbledore in the form of Gellert Grindelwald, who was in Godric’s Hollow to research the Deathly Hallows. Grindelwald was as talented and brilliant as Albus was. Dumbledore quickly became fascinated by Grindelwald’s ideas of wizarding domination, obviously considering Grindelwald an unexpected new chance to show his own brilliance and come out of the local misery. Albus also harboured romantic feelings for the other boy, but regretted his relationship with Grindelwald later in life.However, after two months, Albus’s brother Aberforth confronted him over his neglect of Arianaover the past few weeks, telling him he couldn’t carry out his plans with Grindelwald, as he would have to take her with him. Grindelwald then used the Cruciatus Curse on him. A violent duel erupted between the three teenage boys. Ariana herself tried to intervene in the fight, but couldn’t due to her erratic abilities, and in the ensuing chaos was hit by a stray curse and died. No one knew whose curse it was that killed her, but Grindelwald fled immediately, as he already had a bad record back home, leaving the devastated Albus behind
Gellert Grindelwald (c. 1883 – March, 1998) was considered one of the most dangerous Dark Wizards of all time. He was educated at Durmstrang Institute until his twisted, dark experiments resulted in his expulsion. Later he fostered a friendship with Albus Dumbledore, making plans to find the Deathly Hallows and lead a Wizarding revolution to end the International Statute of Secrecy and creating a benevolent global order led by wise and powerful witches and wizards that dominated Muggles. Their partnership fell apart after the two were involved in a three-way duel with Aberforth Dumbledore that resulted in Ariana Dumbledore’s death.Grindelwald left Britain and soon stole the Elder Wand from Mykew Gregorovitch, proceeding alone with the revolution he and Dumbledore had planned. He established a power base in continental Europe at the fortress Nurmengard. Grindelwald was a complex figure, highly idealistic but marred by his links with the Dark Arts. A revolutionary operating outside the law, he and his followers committed numerous crimes, including several known murders. In 1945, at the height of his power, Dumbledore confronted and defeated him in a legendary duel. He was subsequently imprisoned in his own fortress for decades, and was slain there by Voldemort in 1998 when he refused to give up information on the Elder Wand.
Grindelwald delved into his research on the Deathly Hallows and uncovered the location of the Elder Wand. Rumours had been circulating that the renowned wandsmith Gregorovitch had the wand and was trying to duplicate its properties. Grindelwald broke into Gregorovitch’s workshop, laid in wait for the wandmaker to return, Stunned him, and stole the wand, thereby becoming its new master. He had probably gotten the idea that the old owner of the wand need not be killed in order for it to recognise a new master from Dumbledore, as the prevailing interpretation of the lore at the time was that ownership passed only by murder
Kill me, then. Voldemort, I welcome death! But my death will not bring you what you seek… There is so much you do not understand….“—Grindelwald to Voldemort shortly before his death
The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore
Decades before the legendary Duel, Gellert Grindelwald had come to Godric’s Hollow to stay with his great aunt, Bathilda Bagshot. He became friends with the seventeen year old Albus Dumbledore, and they both became obsessed with the powerful objects known as the Deathly Hallows. This trio comprised the Elder Wand, the Resurrection Stone, and the Cloak of Invisibility.
The plans became more and more far-fetched. Albus’s younger brother, Aberforth, intervened and pointed out the impossibilities of the scheme. Gellert quickly became enraged and the three began to Duel. Ariana Dumbledore was killed in the process. This caused the end of Dumbledore and Grindelwald’s friendship, and forced Grindelwald to flee, going on later to raise an Army in an attempt to continue his plan of wizarding domination.
Grindelwald soon tracked down the Elder Wand, stole it from Gregorovitch, and began to amass power. As his machinations played out over the next 45 years, he became one of the most powerful Dark Wizards in history, and a serious threat to the Wizarding World. Meanwhile, Dumbledore had become the Transfiguration Professor and Deputy Headmaster of Hogwarts, and gained a considerable reputation for his wisdom and achievements along the way.
As Grindelwald gained power, public opinion grew that Albus Dumbledore would be the only one able to stop him. Dumbledore, still haunted by his history with the dark wizard, procrastinated. Eventually, the outcry became too vocal and Grindelwald’s actions too horrible for Dumbledore to put off the confrontation any longer.
The resulting three-hour long battle, on May the 1st, was one of the most well known duels in the world, and one of Dumbledore’s most famous moments, with Dumbledore winning the duel and the Elder Wand’s allegiance. According to Elphias Doge, eye-witnesses proclaimed that it was the greatest wizarding duel of all time.
Gellert Grindelwald was captured and detained in the top-most cell of Nurmengard, a prison that he himself had constructed to hold his enemies.
Albus Dumbledore returned to his place in Hogwarts, and eventually became Headmaster until his Death in 1997. His victory in this battle would be published on his Chocolate Frog Card