Star is an American musical drama television series created by Lee Daniels and Tom Donaghy for Fox. It revolves around three talented young singers (played by Jude Demorest, Ryan Destiny and Brittany O’Grady) who navigate the music business on their road to success. The series, which is set in Atlanta, will consist of original music, along with musical fantasy sequences, as dreams of the future. Thirteen episodes have been ordered, which will premiere during the 2016–2017 television season. Queen Latifah, Benjamin Bratt and Nicholas Gonzalez co-star.
Cast and characters
- Jude Demorest as Star Davis A tough 18-year-old who spent her childhood in and out of foster homes after the death of her mother. She will do anything to become a star.
- Ryan Destiny as Alexandra “Alex” CraneA wealthy 20-year-old who grew up in New York. She is looking to step out of the shadows of her famous father and make it on her own.
- Brittany O’Grady as Simone Davis Star’s sister. She is rescued by Star from the abusive foster home in which she was placed five years before.
- Amiyah Scott as Cotton BrownCarlotta’s daughter. She works at her mother’s salon and helps the girls kickstart their career. She is a trans woman.
- Quincy Brown as Derek Alexandra’s love interest. He lives next door to the girls. He is a Black Lives Matter activist.
- Benjamin Bratt as Jahil Rivera A talent manager who believes the musical trio is his ticket back to the top.
- Queen Latifah as Carlotta BrownThe owner of an Atlanta beauty salon. She becomes a surrogate mother to the three girls, even though she doesn’t approve of their musical dreams.
Special guest star
- Lenny Kravitz as Roland Crane A legendary rock star and Alexandra’s father.
- Darius McCrary as Otis LeecanSimone’s foster father.
- Miss Lawrence as Miss Bruce A transgender woman who works at Carlotta’s salon.
- Chad James Buchanan as Hunter Morgan Star’s love interest. He is Jahil’s godson and a young NFL star.
- Naomi Campbell as Rose SpencerAlexandra’s mother.
- Tyrese Gibson as Pastor Bobby Harris