Riverdale is an American teen drama television series based on the characters by Archie Comics. It was ordered to series at The CW in May 2016. The series premiered on January 26, 2017. It is written by Archie Comics’ chief creative officer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and executive produced by Greg Berlanti.
- J. Apaas – Archibald “Archie” Andrews: An intense, conflicted teen, a boyish high school sophomore who got pumped up over the summer working construction and is now juggling the interest of several girls, as well as trying to balance his passion for writing and performing music—against the wishes of his father and his football coach.
- Lili Reinhart as Elizabeth “Betty” Cooper: A sweet, smart, eager-to-please and wholesome girl with a long time crush on her best friend, Archie.
- Camila Mendes as Veronica Lodge: A sophisticated, confident, silver-tongued high school sophomore. Veronica returns to Riverdale from New York, eager to reinvent herself after a scandal involving her father.
- Cole Sprouseas Jughead Jones and the narrator of the series: A philosophically bent heartthrob who was once the best friend of Archie, who is still dealing with the rift that came between them.
- Madelaine Petsch as Cheryl Blossom: A rich, entitled, and manipulative girl who recently lost her twin brotherin a mysterious accident.
- Ashleigh Murrayas Josie McCoy: A gorgeous, snooty, and ambitious girl who is the lead singer for the popular band Josie and the Pussycats.
- Mädchen Amickas Alice Cooper: Betty’s mother, who is the editor of the local paper. She is a perfectionist who places exceedingly high expectations on her daughter.
- Luke Perryas Frederick “Fred” Andrews: Archie’s father, who owns a construction firm that he hopes his son will take over one day.
- Marisol Nicholsas Hermione Lodge: Veronica’s mother, who has returned to Riverdale with her daughter to reconnect with Fred Andrews following her recent divorce from Hiram Lodge.
Archie is a typical teenage boy, attending high school, participating in sports, and dating. He is extremely accident-prone and many of his actions, however well-intentioned, inadvertently harm the people he tries to help.He is also easily infatuated by many girls he meets. His love triangle between Betty and Veronica form the most common Archie stories
The very kind hearted, though temperamental girl next door. She is romantically obsessed with Archie, but previously used to always end up playing second fiddle to Veronica Lodge. Recently Archie has shown to like Betty and Veronica equally. She has a passion for writing and is a good student, athlete, cook, and auto mechanic. She cares deeply for the well being of others and is always ready to help people with their problems. She has two siblings, Polly and Chick.
Veronica (sometimes called Ronnie or Ron by her close friends) is a very rich girl, the daughter of the billionaire Hiram Lodge. She is a spendthrift, quite spoiled and very vain, but gets along well with most of her classmates. Like her best friend Betty, she is romantically obsessed with Archie and constantly competes for his affections, though she is quick to fall in love with the next hunk around the corner, and occasionally dates Reggie. She rarely gets along with Jughead due to his sloppiness.
Archie’s best friend ever since they met as children is named Forsythe. Jughead is obsessed with food, and is a moocher, constantly asking his friends, especially Archie, for money and food. He is also sarcastic, lazy and apathetic towards girls, especially Big Ethel, who has a crush on him. However he maintains loyalty to Archie, and is usually the one who has to bail him out of trouble. He is very clever in some ways, and ignorant in others. He usually wears his trademark gray crown beanie. He has a baby sister, Jellybean.
Archie’s main rival, particularly for Veronica’s affections. Though they are ultimately good friends, he often taunts Archie and does not understand why girls prefer to date him. He is highly vain and conceited, thinks he can date anyone he wants, and expects everyone to think the world of him. He likes playing practical jokes on others, especially Archie and Moose.
A buxom redhead often catching the eyes of the Riverdale boys, most well known for being the third love interest for Archie Andrews. Reoccurring character, before beginning her own title series and Cheryl is known for being the biggest sex symbol in the gang. She has a twin brother named Jason.
A sinister trickster who has a similar personality as his sister Cheryl.
Marmaduke Mason is a muscular star athlete who is a poor student, often says “duh” at the beginning of sentences, and is possessive about his girlfriend Midge. He also is known to be dyslexic.He is dimwitted and can be easily manipulated by others, particularly Reggie. He will beat up anyone (particularly Reggie) who upsets him or even talks to Midge, the latter being a point of friction between the couple.
Moose’s girlfriend who is often frustrated with his jealousy and lack of intelligence but still loves him dearly. Boys cannot even talk to her without incurring Moose’s wrath. In reality however, she does not often show interest in other boys. Reggie is particularly attracted to her.
A highly intelligent nerd and inventor. He gets As in every class except physical education and is the favorite student of most of his teachers, especially Professor Flutesnoot and Mr. Weatherbee. He is not especially interested in dating and is shy around girls, though he has shown interest in a few girls in the series. Despite his quirks, he fits in well with the gang, who often rely on his brains. He and Moose are best friends, despite their contrasting personalities.
A tall, stringy, somewhat dorky but goodhearted teenager who always tries to win over Jughead, albeit unsuccessfully. Despite her unattractiveness and few dates, she has many close friends and leads an active social life.
An African-American initially introduced as a token character. Initially a shy loner, he came out as one of the most popular students in school. He is a very talented athlete and enjoys cartooning for fun. He has been a close friend of Archie’s since his introduction.
Chuck’s African-American steady girlfriend. She does not take an interest in other boys, being devoted to Chuck alone. However, she is often annoyed with his paying more attention to his hobbies than her. Nancy enjoys sports, fashion, cheerleading and journalism, and is a close friend of the other girls.
The first openly gay character in Archie Comics. This fact earned him a great deal of attention in American comic media. Veronica was deeply attracted to him, but was initially unaware of his sexuality, so Jughead took advantage of this situation to avenge himself against Veronica for humiliating him. Kevin’s sexuality is not presented as controversial or stereotypical in the comics, keeping with Archie Comics’ image of accepting diversity and inclusion.Kevin is an aspiring journalist, with many hobbies including collecting comics and competitive eating. He has two younger sisters, his father is a retired Army Colonel and his mother is a housewife. Kevin’s closest friends in Riverdale are Veronica and Jughead, along with Wendy and William, friends from a previous school.
Veronica’s father, and the richest man in all of Riverdale. Hiram Lodge is usually portrayed as being an industrialist. He always dreads meeting Archie due to Archie’s clumsiness and knack for causing him trouble. He tolerates Archie, however, because he knows of Archie’s more redeeming qualities, and allows his daughter to date whom she chooses.
Mr. Waldo Weatherbee
The school principal, popularly referred to as ‘The Bee’. A former United States Marine known for being obese and bald, he is often a victim of Archie’s clumsiness and also his elementary school principal which often puts the latter in detention. He is often, however, quite helpful and friendly to students.
Miss Geraldine Grundy
A teacher at Riverdale High. She is usually portrayed as an English teacher, though she is occasionally shown teaching other subjects. She is well-aged, slim with white hair, and her personality alternates between harsh and motherly.
Families of Archie’s Gang
- Fred Andrews: Archie’s middle-class businessman father. Highly conservative and old-fashioned, he is frequently bothered by his son’s behavior, partly due to thegeneration gap. However, he and Archie have a number of common interests, and share many father/son activities. He has a pear-shaped build and is losing his hair.
- Mary Andrews: Archie’s typical all-American suburban mother who works for a real estate agency. She is more tolerant of Archie’s behavior than her husband, and is usually the only one who can maintain order in the house.
- Hiram Lodge: Veronica’s rich father and one of Archie’s antagonists. He sports white hair and has a mustache. He is the owner and CEO of Lodge Industries. Even though he is quick to kick out Archie (especially after he breaks something valuable), Hiram often is hospitable to Archie and his friends. Of all of the parents, with the exception of Archie’s, Mr. Lodge is shown the most frequently.
- Hubert Smithers: The bald, portly butler to the Lodge Mansion and the most frequently seen family servant. A running gag is how Archie annoys Smithers as much as he annoys Mr. Lodge, and Smithers takes great pleasure in throwing Archie out of the house. Despite his frustration with Archie’s clumsiness, he remains faithful to the Lodges.
- Gaston: The French cook for the Lodge family. Gaston is often still in Archie Comics today. He is often frustrated when Veronica tries to cook in “his” kitchen.
- Hal Cooper: Betty’s middle-class but hard-working and civic-minded father who works as a druggist. Often frustrated by his daughter’s antics and perplexed by the female nature, he nevertheless supports Betty in whatever she does. He also introduced Betty to sports, and is proud of her.
- Alice Cooper: Betty’s caring, highly supportive mother who is a close friend of Mary Andrews and Hermione Lodge. They have a close mother/daughter bond, but she hopes that Betty will outgrow her tomboy phase.
- Polly and Chic Cooper: Betty’s older sister and older brother who debuted in theLittle Archie, but later became part of the main continuity. Polly is a reporter in San Francisco and Chic is a secret agent for the government.
- Forsythe Pendleton Jones II: Jughead’s father, who looks just like his son, only older and balding. Sometimes he is portrayed just as lazy as he is. As a teenager, he enjoyed sports, and wishes Jughead would take an interest in them too. Though he occasionally deals with money problems, he is a good provider for his family.
- Gladys Jones: Jughead’s mother. While she mainly stays home to take care of her daughter, she is, in reality, the hardest working member of her family, always trying to get her son to do his chores.
- Forsythia “Jellybean” Jones: Jughead’s little sister whose age varies from infant to preschooler depending on the story; she can sometimes manage simple words, and sometimes only speaks in thought bubbles. Despite her youth she knows whom to trust. Jellybean idolizes her brother, who devotes much of his time to babysitting and playing with her.
- Hot Dog: Jughead’s faithful pet dog, amutt who resembles a sheepdog, who is sometimes a mascot for the gang. Capable of conscious thought, he behaves in rather human-like ways and often doesn’t consider himself a pet. He and Jughead have much in common, namely their appetites and laziness.
- Ross Butleras Reginald “Reggie” Mantle”: Archie’s long-time friend & town prankster.
- Casey Cott as Kevin Keller: A popular high school student who is openly gay and best friends with Betty Cooper.
- Cody Kearsley as Marmaduke “Moose” Mason: Archie’s jock friend and closeted bisexual who propositions Kevin.
- Sarah Habelas Miss Geraldine Grundy: Riverdale High’s young music teacher who had a sexual relationship with Archie over the Summer on the day Jason supposedly died.
- Lochlyn Munroas Hal Cooper: The father of Betty and Polly, and husband to Alice Cooper.
- Ashanti Bromfield as Melody Valentine: The drummer for the popular band Josie and the Pussycats.
- Hayley Law as Valerie Brown: The songwriter, bassist, and backup vocalist for the popular band Josie and the Pussycats.
- Olivia Ryan Stern as Tina Patel: The super-smart little sister of Archie Comics character Raj Patel, Tina has been described as an Indian Veronica. Tina is one of Queen Bee Cheryl Blossom’s best friends (along with Ginger Lopez).
- Caitlin Mitchell-Markovitch as Ginger Lopez: One of Cheryl’s best friends.
- Kyle Stehura as Dilton Doiley: The smartest kid in town
- Robin Givensas Sierra McCoy: Mayor of Riverdale and mother of Josie McCoy
- Trevor Stines as Jason Blossom: Cheryl’s twin brother, whose murder hangs over the town of Riverdale.
- Nathalie Bolttas Penelope Blossom: The mother of Cheryl and Jason.
- Barclay Hopeas Cliff Blossom: The father of Cheryl and Jason.
- Tiera Skovbyeas Polly Cooper: The older sister of Betty, and the daughter of Alice and Hal Cooper.
- Colin Lawrenceas Coach Clayton: The father of Chuck, and coach of the Riverdale Bulldogs football team.
- Jordan Callowayas Chuck Clayton
- Alvin Sandersas Pop Tate: The owner of Pop’s Chock’lit Shoppe
- Tom McBeathas Smithers: The butler for the Lodge family.