Inhumans is set to debut on IMAX screens on September 1, 2017, and run for two weeks, before premiering on ABC on September 26, and airing eight episodes.
At the beginning of the Kree-Skrull War, millions of years ago in Earth time, the alien Kree established a station on the planet Uranus, a strategic position between the Kree and Skrull empires. Through their work at this station, they discovered that sentient life on nearby Earth had genetic potential invested in it by the alien Celestials. Intrigued, the Kree began to experiment on Earth’s then-primitive Homo sapiens to produce the genetically advanced Inhuman race. Their goal was apparently twofold—to investigate possible ways of circumventing their own evolutionary stagnation, and to create a powerful mutant race of soldiers for use against the Skrulls. Although their experiments were successful in creating a strain of humanity with extraordinary abilities, the Kree abandoned their experiment because a genetic prophecy had predicted that the experiments would eventually lead to an anomaly who would destroy the Kree Supreme Intelligence.
Their test subjects, the Inhumans, went on to form a society of their own, which thrived in seclusion from the rest of humanity and developed advanced technology. Experiments with the mutagenic Terrigen Mist (a process known as Terrigenesis) gave them various powers, but caused lasting genetic damage and deformities. This led to a long-term selective breeding program in an attempt to mitigate the effects of these mutations.
Attilan’s society and culture are predicated on a conformist belief system which permits individuality as it applies to genetic development and physical and mental ability, but demands rigid conformity in that each member of society is assigned a place within that society according to those abilities following exposure to the Terrigen Mist. Once assigned, no Inhuman, no matter how great or powerful, can change their place within this rigid caste system.Although a member of the Royal Family, Crystal married outside the Inhuman race to the mutant Quicksilver.
Black Bolt has guided the Inhumans through some of the most turbulent times in their history, including several attempts by Maximus to usurp the throne, revolts by the worker class (with their eventual emancipation), attacks by human renegades, the kidnapping of Medusa, the destruction and rebuilding of Attilan, and the revelation of the Inhumans’ existence to humanity.
His role as king of the Inhumans has been tumultuous. The first major crisis occurred when he and Medusa conceived a child. Medusa bore the child in defiance of the Genetic Council, who felt that Black Bolt’s bloodline was too dangerous to pass on. The Council nonetheless took the child to examine, and forbade parental contact. She escaped to Earth with members of the royal family only to be harassed by Maximus. Black Bolt was torn between his love of family and his duty to respect the Genetic Council, and it was only when the Council was revealed to be using his son in a plot against him that he finally turned against the Council. With that, he gave up the crown as king of the Inhumans. For a while, they lived away from Attilan, but returned in times of need.
The series is centered around Black Bolt, with Anson Mount in the role, and other members of the Inhuman Royal Family. A film from Marvel Studios based on the Inhumans began development in 2011, before being announced in October 2014 for a November 2018 release as part of their Phase Three slate of films. The species was first introduced to the MCU in the second season of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and the film was subsequently removed from Marvel Studios’ release schedule in April 2016. Inhumans was announced in November, to be partly filmed on IMAX digital cameras and to be the first live-action television series to debut on IMAX screens. Buck joined the series the next month. Mount was cast in February 2017, with Serinda Swan, Iwan Rheon, Ken Leung, Eme Ikwuakor, Isabelle Cornish, Mike Moh, Sonya Balmores and Ellen Woglom
Cast and characters
- Anson Mount as Black Bolt: The Head of the Inhuman Royal Family and King of Attilan, whose voice can cause destruction with the slightest whisper.Black Bolt is the ruler of the Inhumans, a reclusive race of genetically altered superhumans. Black Bolt’s signature power is his voice, as his electron-harnessing ability is linked to the speech center of his brain. Speaking triggers a massive disturbance in the form of a highly destructive shockwave capable of leveling a city. Due to the extreme danger posed by this power, the character has undergone rigorous mental training to prevent himself from uttering a sound, even in sleep, and he usually remains completely silent and speaks through sign language or via spokesperson.
- Serinda Swan as Medusa: The wife of Black Bolt and Queen of Attilan, who has the ability to move and control her hair.Medusa belongs to the race of Inhumans, a species of prehistoric earthlings mutated by the Terrigen Mists produced deep under the Inhuman city-state of Attilan, presently located in the oxygen-rich Blue Area of the Moon. Crystal (who later became the wife of the Avenger Quicksilver) is Medusa’s younger sister. Considered a member of Attilan’s Royal Family, Medusa’s parents chose to expose her to the Terrigen Mists when she was a child.
- Iwan Rheon as Maximus: An Inhuman with a strong devotion to the people of Attilan, who desires to be king over his brother Black Bolt.Maximus, an Inhuman, was the second son of two of Attilan‘s top geneticists, Agon, the head of the ruling Council of Geneticists, and Rynda, director of the Prenatal Care Center. Subjected to the DNA-altering Terrigen Mist when he was an infant, Maximus peculiarly showed no outward sign of any mutagenic change. As he matured, he hid his developing psionic powers from the community, but was less successful at disguising his antisocial tendencies. When he was about sixteen, his elder brother Black Bolt was released from the protective chamber in which he had been confined since birth due to the destructive nature of his Terrigen mutation. One of Maximus’s first responses to his brother’s freedom was an unsuccessful attempt to make him release his power and prove Black Bolt could not control his sonic powers, and thus lose his freedom
- Ken Leung as Karnak: Black Bolt’s cousin and closest adviser, who can “see the fault in all things” and acts as the Royal Family’s strategist and philosopher.
Karnak is a member of the Inhuman race, one of those who form the Inhuman Royal Family, born on the island of Attilan. Cousin of Black Bolt, king of the Inhumans, Karnak has the ability to find the weak point in any person, plan, or object. Thus, he is usually used as planner by the Inhumans. He also serves as a priest and philosopher to the Inhumans.He is the brother of Triton, who endured Terrigenesis before he did. However, Triton’s Terrigenesis was so extreme that his parents, Mander and Azur, begged that Karnak not have to endure the procedure. Instead, he was sent to a monastery, where he learned martial arts.
- Eme Ikwuakor as Gorgon: Black Bolt’s cousin and leader of Attilan’s military, who can generate seismic waves with his hooves.The son of archivist Milena and architect Korath (brother of the previous king Agon), Gorgon Petragon is a cousin of king Black Bolt and a member of the Royal Family of the Inhumans. As is custom among the Inhumans, Gorgon was exposed to the Terrigen Mists as a teenager, gaining increased strength, while his feet were transformed to hooves, capable of generating highly destructive seismic waves. As an adult, Gorgon became Black Bolt’s personal bodyguard and is responsible for training youths recently exposed to the Terrigen Mists in the use of their newly acquired powers and abilities.
- Isabelle Cornish as Crystal: Medusa’s sister with the ability to control the elements, and the youngest member of the Royal Family with a deep devotion to them.Crystal has been depicted as brave, intelligent, and compassionate. While she is undoubtedly very kind and emotional, this is in stark contrast to her remarkable power, and she is more than capable of defending herself and others.
- Mike Moh as Triton: Black Bolt’s cousin who has the ability to live underwater.Triton is member of the Inhumans‘ Royal Family, son of Mander and Azur, brother to Karnak, and cousin to Gorgon, Black Bolt, Maximus, Medusa, and Crystal. Triton was born on the island of Attilan and was exposed to the Terrigen Mist as an infant. The mists altered his body, turning his skin green and giving him the ability to breathe underwater, as well as surviving the cold temperatures and incredible pressures of the deep
- Sonya Balmores as Auran: The Head of the Royal Guards on Attilan, with a fierce loyalty to Black Bolt.
- Ellen Woglom as someone who works at a private aerospace company with a personal passion for space and things related to the Moon.
The character Lockjaw, Crystal’s 2,000-pound (910 kg) teleporting canine companion, also appears in the series, created through
Lockjaw was born on the island of Attilan, formerly in the Atlantic Ocean. Lockjaw resembles a giant bulldog and serves in the capacity of the Inhumans‘ teleporter and escort to the Royal Family of the Inhumans. Many times he has brought Inhumans to Earth and back again. At times, his powers have been manipulated by evil forces, most usually by Maximus the Mad.Lockjaw and the Royal Family encountered Maximus‘ creation, the Trikon, and were driven from Attilan’s Great Refuge in exile