Most Superman origin stories tend to pick up mere moments before his home planet, Krypton, explodes, killing the baby Kal-El’s parents and almost every other member of his species while he hurdles toward Kansas in a space ship. However, Syfy’s upcoming Krypton TV series starts much, much earlier than that. As seen in the first trailer, the prequel follows Superman’s grandpa as he fights against oppression on a high-tech, sci-fi planet.
Krypton is expected to premiere on Syfy later this year, though no specific date has been announced yet, as it is still a pilot.
- Cameron Cuffe as Seg-El: Superman’s grandfather; athletic, quietly confident, and in his 20s. A younger version of the “grumpier” character from the comics.
- Georgina Campbell as Lyta Zod: A reluctant cadet and warrior in the Kryptonian military, in a clandestine, forbidden relationship with Seg-El.
- Ian McElhinney as Val-El: Seg’s grandfather, who defied death by going to the Phantom Zone and is a staunch believer in space exploration.
- Elliot Cowan as Daron-Vex: The chief magistrate of Kandor, charged with defending Krypton’s oligarchy.
- Ann Ogbomo as Alura Zod: The Primus of the Kryptonian military guild and mother of Lyta. Alura shares her first name with Alura Zor-El, the mother of Supergirl.
- Rasmus Hardiker as Kem: An engineer and Seg’s best friend.
- Wallis Day as Nyssa-Vex: A junior magistrate and the daughter of Daron-Vex.
- Aaron Pierre as Dev-Em: A “chiseled, twenty-something bad boy”.
Ter-El, Seg’s father, is also expected to appear
Kryptonians are an alien humanoid race of being who originate on the planet Krypton. Kryptonians are basically humans in their structure and appearance. But their biology is far more advanced than that of Earth based humans where they are able to utilize energy in their body with far more direct and elaborate manners than Earth based humans do. Various dimensional Kryptonians have developed superpowers in regards to Earth based humans that vary drastically in comparison to their various native dimensions. Super speed, heat vision, x-ray vision, and super breath are among many Kryptonian superpowers.
House of EL
Known Relatives: Tro-El (brother, deceased); Sul-El (descendent, deceased); Hatu-El (descendent, deceased); Wir-El (descendent, deceased); Shu-El (descendent, deceased); Fedra Shu-El (descendent, deceased); Thar-El (descendent, deceased);Plen-El (descendent, deceased); Nox-El (descendent, deceased); Fil-El (descendent, deceased); Sor-El (descendent, deceased); Im-El (descendent, deceased); Pir-El (descendent, deceased); Yu-El (descendent, deceased); Tala-El (descendent, deceased); Gam-El (descendent, deceased); Pym-El (descendent, deceased); Var-El (descendent, deceased); Jor-El the First; Jor-El the Second (descendent, deceased); Nim-El (descendent, deceased); Zor-El (descendent, deceased); Kara Zor-El (descendent, deceased); Kal-El (descendent).
An orphan boy who lived in the dark ages of Krypton, 500.000 years ago, El was adopted by Naton and Mar, an elder couple who raised the boy as their own. In those savages times, El grew to tranform himself in a gentle, stronger man. However his life changed when a group of riders of Lord Utor came close to his village. When Naton and El fight them, the riders were amazed for El mighty strengh. He alone killed two of the stronger members of the riders, but he also was wound in the fight. The people of the village take him to the temple of Rao, searching for a miracle. The priests of the temple discovered than the wound in his cheast resemble the secret mark of Rao. Wonder themselves if the boy was Rao’s chosen one, the priest send the boy with the god, who granted amazing powers, far from those of mortal men. The one destined to bring back the golden age of krypton. El was the first of the linage, and direct ancestor of Superman.
Laras Lilit Wife of El, ancestor of Superman.
A kryptonian girl who lived in the past Krypton in savages times, Laras Lilith was the dauther of Dar Lilith, the favorite of Lord Utor, the god king of his birthing empire.
However, tradegy struck when her father was killed by a savage of name El, who had given great powers by Rao. He was a danger for all the civilization than Lord Utor represented.
However, under the direction of Utor, Laras Lilit was given the task of seduce and corrupt El, a task she did by marring him and deviating him from his assigned task and discovering his weakness. An information she revealed to Lord Utor, who could capture, torture and mutilate El.
However, Laras also discovered the good nature and honesty of El and feel in love with him. She regret her actions and tried to freed El. In the middle of that task, El saw the god Rao who give him a last mission. El forgave Laras, whom he always loved, even in treason. and urged her to ran away from the city. Using his recovered strengh, El destroyed the city, Lord Utor and himself.
Laras, along with El’s mother, Mar, and other survivors of the city and the wildlands, leave the place. The linage of El survived in their son.
Val-El was a native of the planet Krypton and a respected member of the House of El. He was known as a great explorer responsible for discovering lands that would later become known as Urrika and Lurvan. A statue of Val-El holding a telescope was erected and placed within the House of El family memorial vault on the planet, Rokyn.
Val-El is a direct paternal ancestor of the super-hero known as Superman.
- Val-El’s final fate has never been revealed, but it is reasonable to assume that he passed away of natural causes long before the ultimate destruction of Krypton.
You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They’ll race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall Kal. And in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.
- — Jor-El
Jor-El was a descendent of Kem-L, the ancient Kryptonian scientist who designed the Eradicator. Jor-El was a scientist who lived during the last days of Krypton. He had a deep love and respect for Krypton’s ancient past, which contrasted sharply with the cold, sterile world the planet had become. When it was arranged for Jor-El to be bonded with Lara (the reason being they were the most genetically compatible), Jor-El broke with tradition and asked if he could see the woman with whom he would have a child. Jor-El fell in love with her, and she eventually came to love him as well. They lived together, and a son was conceived from their sex cells and implanted in an artificial womb, known as a Matrix Chamber.
Abiding by the will of the Council, Jor-El spoke no more of his findings, but began instead to work on a way to save his son. Using his technology to attempt to find a suitable world for his son to be raised on, Jor-El sent a probe to Earth that made contact with Thomas Wayne while he was on a drive with a pregnant Martha. The probe sent a holographic transmission of Thomas’ consciousness to Krypton so that Jor-El could better learn what kind of world Earth was in order to help him decide which of many possible candidates he should send his son to. Thomas tells Jor-El that the people of Earth aren’t perfect, but are essentially a good and kind race, who would raise the child right, convincing Jor-El to send Kal-El there. Upon returning to his body, Thomas uses the technology in the Kryptonian probe to revitalize a failing Wayne Enterprises. Years later, the alien technology would be the basis of much of Batman‘s technology. Thomas recorded his encounter in a diary, which was discovered by Bruce in the present day.
Due to Thomas’ testimony, Jor-El decided that Earth would be the perfect home for Kal, especially after his discovery of the effects of a yellow sun on Kryptonian physiology. To ensure his son’s safety, he first sent Krypto out on a test rocket, tested for his son, Kal-El. He then set about creating a rocket fit for Kal. Jor also began preparations to ensure his son would be properly educated, and that the knowledge of Krypton would survive. Just as he completed his preparations, Krypton began to shake itself apart, the death that Jor had foretold coming to fruition. Working with his wife, Jor-El sent baby Kal-El to the planet Earth
Jor-El was once a scientist and high-ranking member of the Kryptonian Science Council on the planet Krypton. He was a protege of the eminent scientist known as Non and together they discovered that Krypton was suffering from severe geological disturbances – disturbances that threatened to destroy the entire planet. Jor-El brought his concerns to the Science Council, but they dismissed his assertions as a vehicle of paranoia and discord. Jor-El was also the architect of the Phantom Zone projector, a device that could teleport convicted criminals into an otherworldly dimension called the Phantom Zone. Jor-El believed that imprisonment in the Phantom Zone was a more humane method of incarcerating criminals, though he had little knowledge of what life inside the Phantom Zone was truly like. Shortly before the destruction of Krypton, Jor-El and his wife Lara gave birth to a son named Kal-El. Desperate to save his son’s life, he created a star-drive ship designed to take him to another world – a world where he would be safe and grow up to be strong and happy. Jor-El explored the galaxy in search of a suitable planet and sent out dozens of probes designed to collect various data. His research revealed that Kryptonians living in a yellow-star system developed enhanced physical characteristics including super-strength, speed and agility. One of Jor-El’s probes landed on the planet Earth where it was discovered by motorist Thomas Wayne. When Thomas touched the probe, his consciousness was instantly transported to Krypton where he met Jor-El. Although their meeting was brief, Jor-El developed a fondness and respect for Thomas Wayne. He decided that Earth would be the perfect planet for his son to be raised. Within a short period of time, Jor-El’s worst nightmares came to pass. Massive groundquakes erupted across the planet and Krypton literally shook in its death-throes. With little time to spare, Jor-El and Lara placed baby Kal-El into his rocket ship and sent him off towards Earth. Krypton exploded and everyone on the planet, including Jor-El, were killed.
Powers and Abilities
- Jor-El possessed an advanced knowledge of Kryptonian history. He was also a proficient scientific engineer responsible for designing hyper-drive technology.
- Genius Level Intellect
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic)
- As a product of Eugenics, Jor-El was in perfect physical shape. His strength level was equitable to that of an athletic, male Kryptonian despite the lack of any regular exercise.
- As a Kryptonian, Jor-El originally suffered from a genetic defect, which bound him to the planet Krypton. Were Jor-El were ever to attempt to leave the planet, he would lapse into a seizure and ultimately die. This was later retconned out of continuity.
Lara Lor-Van is a Kryptonian Scientist as well as the biological mother of Superman and wife to Jor-El.
Lara Lor-Van was the wife of Kryptonian scientist Jor-El that lived on the late planet Krypton. Little is known about her early life, but what is known is that she had given birth to Kal-El before the destruction of the planet and assisted in her son’s escape from the plaent. After the death of her husband, Lara witnessed General Zod and his party being sentenced to the Phantom Zone. She died after being engulfed in flames, witnessing the destruction of Krypton
Superman is Earth’s premiere superhero and the stalwart protector of Metropolis. Born Kal-El on the distant planet Krypton, he was sent to Earth as a child to survive Krypton’s destruction. Raised with high moral ideals, he uses his extraordinary superpowers to fight evil and protect the innocent. In his civilian identity he is Clark Kent, a mild-mannered reporter working for the Daily Planet in Metropolis.
Kal-El was born on the distant planet Krypton to the scientist Jor-El and his wife Lara Lor-Van in the midst of a planet-wide war. Kal-El was a naturally-born child, which is outlawed on Krypton where all children are genetically engineered to become a more efficient being. When the planet was about to explode and to ensure their son’s survival, his parents sent Kal-El away in a ship designed to carry him to safety away from the planet, sending him to Earth, where Jor-El knew of a scout ship sent prior where Kal-El would grow up with extraordinary abilities and where he would look identical to the planet’s natives. His ship landed undetected in Smallville, Kansas and he was found by a local farming couple, Jonathan Kent and his wife Martha. They took him in and illegally adopted him renaming him “Clark Kent” after Martha’s maiden name.
Powers and Abilities
- Kryptonian Physiology
- Solar Energy Absorption
- Superhuman Strength
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Speed
- Superhuman Hearing
- Heat Vision
- X-Ray Vision
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced)
- Vulnerability to Kryptonite
- Vulnerability to Red Sunlight
- Kryptonian Physiology: Superman’s cellular structure is much more dense, resilient, and biologically more effective than human tissue. He does not possess superhuman strength levels despite his enhanced cellular ability without his cellular structure charged with yellow solar energy. Without such charging, his physical capabilities are identical to a human of his height and weight who engages in regular physical activity. As an alien, he possesses several organs whose functions are not yet disclosed or understood, but are believed to be part of or the source of his bio-matrix force field and reclamation aura. Superman’s body also stores energy actively within his bio-cellular matrix as an energy pattern that is linked to his body’s electromagnetic field. This energy powers most of his electromagnetic capabilities such as flight, heat vision and other “sight”-based abilities while supplementing his physical abilities to superhuman levels.
Solar Radiation Absorption: As a Kryptonian, his cells function like a super battery, hyper metabolizing specific wavelengths of radiation as fuel to enable living functions and/or superhuman abilities. Different wavelengths of radiation have different effects on Superman’s physiology and well being, but his cells cannot absorb or utilize all types of radiation. The wavelength of his home solar system’s red sun enables his body to function on an identical level of a healthy human while the Earth’s solar radiation in both its raw and filtered state through the Earth’s atmosphere acts as fuel to enable all of his powers. Every time Superman uses any of his superhuman abilities, his body expends absorbed sunlight and he is capable utilizing any of them to various degrees through controlled circumstances. The solar-based radiation of a foreign blue star proved to increase his known abilities under a yellow sun to a higher degree and enabled additional powers. The existence and constant exposure to proven “healthy” radiation sources is not required for him to live and utilize his powers, but prolonged periods without exposure to them and/or utilizing his powers will require Kal-El to recharge in order to live and continue using his powers.
Superhuman Strength: The exact limits of Superman’s strength is unknown, but he has been shown as capable of lifting far in excess of one billion tons. Different periods and intensities of exposure to Earth’s solar radiation can cause his strength to fluctuate over time. Superman’s known feats include lifting an enormous pyramid and flying it to Mars without any strain,physically defeating Darkseid in combat, moving Earth away from the Sun with the aid of Green Lantern while Starbreaker was pushing it toward the Sun (a feat that at minimum would require quintillions of tons of force),and having the strength necessary to shatter planets with individual blows. When fighting a version of himself from a different world he shattered the boundaries of space and time, saying “the universe is in it’s death rows”.Unhealthy levels of high exposure to solar radiation can exceed Superman’s “normal” strength level.
Invulnerability: His body is nigh-invulnerable due to his superhumanly dense cellular and anatomical structure as well as his radiating bio-electrical aura. Superman is under some circumstances resistant or immune to different forms and levels of lacerations, blunt force trauma, energy-based assaults, falls from great heights, explosions, the cold void of space, toxins and all known diseases on Earth. His supercharged bio-electric “aura” acts as an invisible “force field” radiating within a few millimeters from his skin. He can willfully utilize his aura strengthening it’s power to a greater degree to provide an additional defense against certain levels of physical and energy attacks for a considerably short period of time, but doing so can endanger him should the attempted feat prove inefficient for any reason. Superman utilizes his aura by expanding it around a person(s) or object(s) to enable their structural stability when lifting or traveling with them. Superman’s invulnerability has been in constant flux over the years. He has been shown surviving the blast of nuclear warheads, entering the Earth’s sun and emerging unharmed,withstanding the impact of an exploding star,and surviving being in the vicinity of an explosion equal to 50 supernovas while already significantly weakened by red sunlight.
- Longevity: Superman can potentially live indefinitely with little to no ageing to his being, so long as he continuously retains enough yellow solar radiation in his body.
Superhuman Stamina: He has the ability to maintain continuous physical actions for an undefined period. Clark is shown to have unlimited stamina if he is consistently exposed to Earth sunlight.
Flight: Superman is capable of flying at supersonic speeds (over two thousand miles per second in a planetary atmosphere and at faster-than-light speeds while in space.He once traveled from the Vega star to Earth – a distance of over 25 light years – in minutes if not seconds, meaning he is capable of flying over one million times the speed of light.
Superhuman Speed: He is capable of moving, reacting, running and flying at superhuman speeds. While not as fast as the Flash on a planet, Superman can fly at speeds faster than light and is considered one of the fastest beings in the universe. He can use this power to disarm opponents, catch bullets or shrapnel and cross vast distances in seconds.
Superhuman Hearing: Superman has incredible hearing at extreme variances of sound and pitch frequency, allowing him to pick up noises from across the globe. He has shown enough control to block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source/frequency.
- Super Smell: On various occasions, Superman has demonstrated that his sense of smell is significantly enhanced to the point he can smell odors across the entire planet
- Self-Sustenance: He does not need to eat or sleep (but is still capable of doing so) and doesn’t require oxygen to breathe enabling him to travel in space and underwater unprotected.
- Super-Breath: Superman can create hurricane force winds by blowing, and also chill his breath to freeze a target. He can also breathe in large amounts of air to dispel clouds of gas by exhaling it.
- Heat Vision: Superman can fire beams of intense heat from his eyes. These beams can be made invisible, allowing him to work undetected, and can be adjusted to affect matter on a microscopic level. Feats include powering up the giant ion planet moving engines, annihilating an army of Doomsday clones in one blast, potentially rivaling the heat of a Star and bypassing a target’s outer shell, avoiding damage to a person’s skull for surgical purposes.
- Super Vision: Superman also possesses a superior sensory arrangement of visual capabilities.
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: He can see into all of the EM Spectrum. Superman can see and identify radio/television and any and all broadcast/transmitted frequencies, allowing him to avoid detection through radar or satellite monitoring methods.
- Telescopic Vision: The ability to focus his vision to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics.
- Microscopic Vision: The ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the sub atomic level.
- X-Ray Vision: The ability to see through anything except lead. Since it is passive, this ability would not generate harmful radiation in the same manner as a focused projection of hard X-rays.
- Thermal Vision: The ability of see through the heat tracks left by a living being or object.
- Expert Combatant: Due to having superpowers all his life and constantly engaging in battle with various foes, Superman has over time become an excellent hand-to-hand fighter utilizing a fighting style that directly complements his superpowers. Superman’s combat versatility allows him to adapt to any foe and beat them. Additionally, Superman has been trained in boxing by Wildcat, Mongul in Gladiator combative methods, Wonder Woman in wrestling and even learned some advanced martial arts techniques from Batman.
- Genius Level Intellect: He has shown incredible intelligence and computational abilities; his mind works sharply and with extreme speed relative to earth-humans. Superman’s analytical powers enable him to read information directly from machines (and, with careful usage of his heat vision, he can even reprogram machines).
- Indomitable Will: Superman has shown to have a powerful spirit, free of corruption and temptation. Having been raised by a kindly Kansas farmer and his wife, he was taught to protect life and help others. He is very optimistic and never gives up, even when things look bad. Superman has learned how to place mental inhibitors on his own power so that he doesn’t accidentally “flex and cause the tectonic plates to shift.” To him, they are the barriers that allow him to feel human enough to live a healthy life, and he only ever releases one of them when fighting a particularly powerful opponent or performing a difficult task.
- Torquasm Vo: Torquasm Vo is a Kryptonian discipline that Superman uses sometimes. It is basically a means of focusing ones mental discipline to help fight adverse effects such as mental domination. It can be used to manipulate someone’s mind. Superman used that ability during his fight against the Eradicator. It was used to create an illusion to let Superman enter inside the Eradicator.
- Torquasm Rao: Allows him to tap into his instincts and separate himself from his body. Makes him able to prevent others from manipulating his mind and allows him to fight on the astral plane.
- Investigation: Both as a superhero and as a journalist, Superman is an expert at gathering evidence from all kinds of sources.
- Journalism: Clark is one of the best reporters on the Daily Planet, rivaled only by his wife Lois Lane.
- Leadership: Superman has proven many times over his ability to command respect and inspire others with his charisma, ardor, and idealism. He often serves as the primus inter pares of the Justice League.
- Ventriloquism: Used to practice in high school.
- Vulnerability to Magic: Superman’s biomatrix is his most powerful asset, but the strength of this field is also its greatest weakness. Its permeability to certain wavelengths makes him vulnerable to certain radiations, particularly magical energies whose chaotic electromagnetic or extra dimensional signatures disrupt this force field. Superman’s vulnerability to magic varies depending upon the special effects of the magic. No magic seems to be able to directly destroy him unless it comes from a semi-divine or divine source. He can be injured and worn down by magical entities. Magic can have powerful and unpredictable effects on Superman and his magical enemies have often proven to be the most dangerous.
- Vulnerability to Chi: Lex Luthor and Question argued that, because of Superman’s solar based powers, planetary based esoteric and vital forces could have an opposite effect on him. Luthor posited that concentrated doses of such energies could severely cripple Superman and become fatal, and he attempted to exploit this weakness with the Science Spire, which tapped into the energies of Metropolis.
- Vulnerability to Kryptonite: Since the destruction of Krypton, its remains (rendered radioactive by the explosion) have been spreading throughout the universe as Kryptonite, a crystalline substance whose specific radioactive wavelength is lethal to Kryptonians native to this reality. The most common form of Kryptonite is Green Kryptonite, and its effect is directly poisonous to him. Kryptonite from other realities do not necessarily have the same effects on all Kryptonians.
- Lead Superman cannot see through lead with his x-ray vision powers.
- Solar Energy Dependency: His abilities will eventually weaken without replenishing his energy reserves with normal (yellow) sun radiation, especially if he doesn’t have any direct contact with yellow sunlight. When exposed to the same red solar radiation as Krypton’s red sun Rao, it causes Superman to lose his powers within a large amount of exposure until the exposure to yellow sunlight will reverse this effect.
- High-Pitched Noises: Because of his super hearing, Superman’s ears are extra-sensitive to extreme noises.
Kon-El/Conner Kent is a human/Kryptonian hybrid clone and was created to be the ultimate living weapon.
Conner Kent or Super boy is a clone genetically created from material from Superman when he was killed by the creature known as Doomsday. A blood sample from Lex Luthor, was used as well, though it would be a long time before he became aware of his human donor’s identity. He was created by Project Cadmus to replace Superman following his death and he was artificially aged to mid-teens and implanted with the necessary knowledge of someone of his biological age (in regards to general studies, such as math, reading, etc). Before the experiment could be completed (i.e. aging him to full adulthood and implanting him with safeguards to control him) he was freed by the Newsboy Legion and escaped. One of the boys gave him a leather jacket before he set out into the city (having his first brush with being Superman when he encounters Sidearm attempting to rip off an ATM).Super boy ends up having run-ins with the other three Supermen and meets up with Rex Leech who becomes his manager. When the real Superman comes back he relinquishes the rights to the name and symbol (which had been copyrighted by Rex during Superman’s absence and which he begrudgingly agrees to turn over to the real Man of Steel) and decided to leave Metropolis.
Superboy is a full telekinetic. He does also have some weak Kryptonian abilities like strength and durability, but he is able to use his TK to mimic more of them and reinforce the rest. His telekinesis is highly advanced and he has been able to amazing feats with it among with other things:
- Telekinesis: Superboy’s telekinesis gives him the ability to move things with his mind and is so powerful that with concentration he’s been able to levitate whole Kryptonian city. His telekinesis is so advanced that it can also affect matter in molecular level.
- Telekinetic Blast: He has shown to be able to shoot powerful blasts of telekinetic energy capable of hurting a full-blooded Kryptonian.
- Telekinetic Force-Field: In addition to that his personal TK-shield that provides him invulnerability he has also shown to be able to create force-fields from telekinetic energy to protect himself and others.
Superboy’s the most common form of using his telekinesis is called tactile telekinesis. By using his TK he has shown to be able to use his mental abilities to supplement his physical ones.
- Superhuman Strength: Superboy can lift heavy objects by using his TK. He is also able to charge his physical attacks with his TK to simulate super strength. Upper limit of this ability isn’t known.
- Simulated Invulnerability: The force-field that surrounds Kon-El’s body provides him with invulnerability. However in the New 52 Conner has to concentrate to keep his TK shield up. The loss of his concentration can weaken his TK shield considerably. In one scene he was hit with a metal pipe by a normal human and it caused him pain because he was unaware of the coming attack. Superboy’s TK shield is always up unless he consiously takes it down so in theory Superboy could keep up his TK shield forever.
- Flight: Superboy can use his telekinesis to mimic the ability of flight and has already been seen flying at hypersonic speeds with this ability.
- Simulated Heat Vision: Superboy is able to simulate heat vision by moving the molecules of objects in front of him so fast that they catch fire.
- Spatial Sense: Superboy’s psionic powers gives him the ability to perceive world differently than normal humans do. He is able to see, smell or taste things that normal humans can’t. Also by using his telekinesis Superboy is able to ”scan” things and people and learn everything there is to know about that scanned target.
Full extent of his telepathy isn’t known, but he does seemingly own some kind of psychic defense and is able to see memories. He was also able to wipe Kara’s memories of him.
Cloned Kryptonian Physiology
Even without using his TK Superboy still possess some weak level Kryptonian abilities which will probably later advance due to his young age. Superboy has said his powers don’t come from the yellow sun.
- Superhuman Intelligence: Superboy is able to absorb vasts amounts of information in a small amount of time. When he was cloned he was already imbued with a high level of intelligence.
- Superhuman Strength: Superboy can bench at least 3 tons without TK, but upper limit this ability isn’t fully known.Superboy was also strong enough to lift a Kryptonian City without TK.
- Healing Factor: Due to his unique metabolism he heals faster than a human and is able to heal several broken bones in less than an hour.
- Invulnerability: Superboy has been shown to possess at least some kind of natural invulnerability. He was able to survive in lava without using his TK shield.
- Self-Sustenance: Superboy doesn’t need to drink or eat anything and he can survive in the vacuum of space. However when Superboy and Supergirl fought for the first time Connor had problems breathing in space. This can be explained as Connor’s powers only being as strong as his mind. When he believed that he would suffocate in space he actually did suffocate and so he was later seen in space without any problems.
Powers and Abilities (Pre-Flashpoint, New Earth)
At first Superboy only possessed form of telekinesis called tactile telekinesis what manifested as a invisible telekinetic force-field what surrounded his body. It was able to copy some of the Kryptonian abilities and also give him some unique ones:
- Superhuman Strength: Even that bounds of this ability weren’t never fully showed he was once able to lift world’s largest yacht (weight at least 500 tons) only using his telekinetic strength.
- Flight: Using his tactile telekinesis Superboy was able to fly at high supersonic speeds.
- Simulated Invulnerability: Force-field what surrounded Superboy’s body provides invulnerability. Superboy was also able to break free from of an opponent’s grip by momentarily expanding this force-field, as well as protect others the same way. This force-field seemingly was less effective against energy-attacks.
- Telekinetic Blasts: Superboy was able to shoot powerful blasts of raw psionic energy.
- Telekinetic Super Hearing: Superboy was also able to use his telekinesis and hear things from far away.
- Telekinetic Disassemble: By touching something Superboy was able to cause the object he was touching fall to pieces.
- Subconscious Telekinetic Recall: Superboy keeps a subconscious blueprint of every object he’s affected with his telekinesis, though he is oblivious to it. A sufficiently-powerful telepath (such as Saturn Girl) can delve into his mind and collect stunningly accurate information and transfer it to another mind to make use of.
As Conner’s physiology matures, his Kryptonian abilities began to manifest themselves thus gaining most of Kal-El’s powers. Now under the Earth’s yellow Sun Superboy possesses:
- Energy Absorption – As a Kryptonian, Conner possesses the ability to absorb the light and radiation of stars, specifically those in the yellow spectrum. His Kryptonian body is constantly absorbing and storing energy from Earth’s yellow sun, which in turn grants him incredible powers, such as superhuman strength, enhanced senses, impenetrable skin, and even the ability to defy gravity. His body is also able to absorb the radiation of a blue sun, this grants him increased strength and various other powers.
- Superhuman Strength – Conner has the ability to lift over 100 tons with minimal effort. When Conner is appearing to hold a great weight he is actually pushing against it with the bio-electric force field that encompasses his body.
- Superhuman Speed – Due to Conner’s Kryptonian physiology has has an enhanced metabolism, muscular speed, and nervous system he has been granted a speed that is much greater compared to that of a human. He recently was shown in a race with Kid Flash. It was stated Superboy and Bart could have crossed the globe in a few minutes. He is able to see and avoid objects moving at incredible speeds and is also able to move faster than the human eye can perceive. When his body is charged with solar energy he is able to avoid laser fire at point blank range. Conner is also able to see other beings moving at superhuman speeds and can constantly move at a superhuman rate but this drains his solar reserves very fast if he is not under a yellow star at the time.
- Superhuman Vision (Telescopic, X-Ray, Heat) – Conner is able to see over great distances and perceive even the smallest of objects. This vision also allows Conner to see through the atomic structure of an object. Though he is unable to see through lead, Conner’s Heat vision has yet to be calculated but it could be comparable to that of Kryptonians which is almost as hot as the core of the Sun.
- Super Hearing – Conner has the super human ability to hear all sounds at any volume or pitch.
- Superhuman Stamina – Conner’s Kryptonians physiology allows him exert himself to physical peak for an undetermined amount of time. When Conner is under a star with a yellow spectrum he is constantly replenishing his solar reserves. When Conner is under a G type dwarf star with a yellow spectrum his solar energies are constantly being replenished. Although he will not lose his abilities due to being under this star at one point he still will require rest.
- Invulnerability – Due to his Kryptonian physiology Conner has a bioelectric forcefield that protects his body from harm. His muscular tissue is much denser than that of a normal human. He has been able to withstand a 1 mega-ton nuclear explosion and also a fight with Superboy-Prime.
- Flight – While Conners body is charged with solar energy he is able to emit a gravitational field that enables him to defy gravity. Conner has extreme mobility while he is in flight allowing him to fight, change course and also carry great weights. While in Earths atmosphere Conner is able to move at high Mach Speed and while in space he can move at near light speeds. Conner tends to avoid moving at FTL speeds while in a planet’s atmosphere so that he does not harm the area around him. Conner has been seen flying from the Earth to the moon in mere seconds.
- Super Breath – Conner has the ability to suck in a large amount of air into his lungs and either hold it within him for a long period of time or create strong forces of wind with it.
- Freeze breath – Conner has the ability to freeze his enemies using his breathe. He is able to control the temperature with which he expels this power. This was the last of his abiltiies that he displayed and he showed it during Blackest Night.
- Longevity – Conners Kryptonian physiology allows him to live much longer than that of a normal human.
- Total Recall – Conner has the ability to instantly recall events that he pays specific attention to or that hold great emotional significance to him. When he has absorbed solar energy he has the ability to solve problems with superhuman speeds.
The cloning process that created Superboy was done in such detail that he was a living solar battery like Superman, although he is not able to process solar energy as fast as a normal Kryptonian. He is susceptible to Kryptonite radiation as well.
Some of us try hard to make the world a better place than it was when we found it. I know that’s what I try to do. I won’t always be successful. But that’s life. I’m Supergirl. This is my life … and y’know what? I’m pretty happy with it. (For now at least.)
- — Supergirl
Kara Zor-El is the daughter of Superman‘s uncle Zor-El and his wife Alura. Kara is actually older than Kal-El (Superman); she was a teenager when he was a baby. When Krypton was attacked by Brainiac, he took Kandor with him, while Kara and her parents remained in Argo.After Brainiac’s attack, her father created a force-field around Argo using a Brainiac Probe. When Brainiac came to consume Argo City, her parents had no choice but to send her in a rocket headed for Earth. However, her rocket was caught in a large kryptonite-encrusted meteor and she arrived on Earth years after her cousin did.
Kara was an insecure, fierce, impulsive, compassionate and sometimes immature teenager. At the beginning she came across as an angry, bratty girl due to suffering from undiagnosed Kryptonite poisoning when she landed on Earth as an effect of spending thirty years trapped in a chunk of Kryptonite. Her illness messed up her brain, making her prone to wild mood swings and odd behavior until it was correctly diagnosed and the poison purged from her body. Once free from false memories and mood swings plaguing her, Kara showed she was a troubled girl and lacked confidence but she was nice and well-meaning.Having survived both the destruction of Krypton and Argo City, Kara had a huge case of “Survivor Guilt” and suffered from PTDS . Sometimes her considerable self-loathing and guilt manifested as a split personality called “Dark Supergirl” until she managed to forgive herself.
Powers and Abilities
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a “yellow” sun, Kara possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Kara’s super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. Her biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and her bio-cellular matrix, “yellow” solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Kara can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. She can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Kara’ hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, she can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision Kara’s vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Kara can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. She can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, she can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows her to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Kara’s can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. She can focus this ability to “peel back” layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived – such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans – is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Kara’s can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Kara is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of her dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Kara is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, her extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Kara is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on her body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Kara’s strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of her musculature. Her strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables her to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Kara is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to her perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Superhuman Agility
- Superhuman Reflexes
- Super-Breath: Kara is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from her lungs. She can chill the air as it leaves her lungs to freeze targets. She can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into her lungs.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced): She has been trained by Batman in advanced martial arts and trained with the Amazons ,on Themyscira, in combat and sword fighting. She has trained with Wonder Woman and Artemis extensively.
- Multilingualism: Supergirl speaks a multitude of languages fluently. She learned all of Earth’s languages in less then a month. She also speaks interlac. She is also fluent in Kryptonese. Plus, through precise muscle control, she can mimic other peoples voices.
- Genius Level Intellect: Kryptonians, though otherwise completely human, were superior both intellectually and physically to natives of Earth. Supergirl who lived on Argo City for some time learned much about science and technology. Supergirl excels in engineering and has been shown at a young age to be able to reprogram advanced Kryptonian technology, like a robot, with little effort. She is even a member of the Kryptonian Science Council the ruling body of Krypton.
- Artistry: Kara is also artistic and was once approached by the head of the Art Council who wanted to mentor Kara just like he did with her father. She keeps a guitar and a sewing machine in her apartment and she draws and designs new versions of her costume every so often.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a “yellow” sun, Kara possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Vulnerability to Kryptonite
- Vulnerability to Magic
Zor-El was a scientist from Argo City, late of the planet Krypton. He was the brother of Kryptonian scientist Jor-El and was married to Alura In-Ze. Zor-El and Alura had a daughter named Kara.
For a time, it was believed that Zor-El thought that Krypton was being devastated by a “phantom plague” and so he genetically altered Kara’s biochemistry to enable her to defend herself against such threats. As such, Kara Zor-El developed powers even beyond that of a Kryptonian exposed to yellow solar radiation. It was also thought that Zor-El sent her to Earth to kill her cousin Kal-El, whom he suspected was also infected by this phantom plague. This was later revealed to be false, and was actually Kara’s warped perceptions of her father caused by severe Kryptonite poisoning.
In fact, Zor-El was a very noble figure. Having migrated his friends and family to the bottled city of Kandor, Zor-El used technology from leftover Brainiac Probes to bolster the city’s defenses. Zor-El along with thousands of Kandorians was eventually freed from Brainiac’s ship and Kandor was returned to its normal size. It was situated in the North Pole, not far from Superman’s Fortress of Solitude.
Zor-El served as an ambassador for the surviving Kryptonians and attended a special summit in Washington, D.C. where he met American president Jonathan Horne.
At this time, Washington was attacked by Superman’s old adversary Doomday. Zor-El and several other Kandorians assisted Superman in fighting him. Attacking Doomsday en masse, they brought him to the moon where they finished him off, seemingly killing him.
Taking the attack to heart, Zor-El then began to question Kara for information about Kal-El’s most dangerous enemies. Zor authorized the Kandorians to capture the most dangerous of these and bring them to Kandor, where they would be placed within the Phantom Zone. When Superman found out, he confronted Zor, Alura, and Kara, as several Kryptonians used lethal force against guards and police officers to capture the criminals. Kara was horrified at the revelations, and Zor was both surprised and remorseful about the deaths. Zor-El was then shocked to learn that not only did Alura know about the deaths, she had authorized the Kryptonians to use lethal force if necessary.
Shortly thereafter, Zor-El was in New Krypton when it was attacked by Metallo and Reactron, as well as dozens of Brainiac Probes. The villains possessed Kryptonite, which made the Kryptonians vulnerable to attack. Reactron stabbed Zor-El through the chest, killing him. Funeral services for Zor-El were held at the Fortress of Solitude and were preside over by his widow, Alura.
- — Seyg-El
Seyg-El was a noble Lord of the House of El, one of the most respected families on all of the planet, Krypton. The Master of the Gestation Chambers selected Seyg-El from the Register of Citizens to mate with a woman of compatible genetic lineage. Together they sired a son whom Seyg-El named, Jor-El.
Seyg-El’s relationship with Jor-El lacked any true familial passion, and he regarded his son as an embarrassing maverick – ignorant of proper Kryptonian traditions. However, Jor-El was well schooled in all manner of Kryptonian heritage, specifically history.
By the time Jor-El was fifteen-years-old, a wave of deadly radiation commonly referred to as the Green Plague began claiming thousands of Kryptonian lives. One of its victims was a respected man named Zon-Em. With the death of Zon-Em, his chosen mate, Lara, was left without a suitable partner to whom she could father a child. The Master of the Gestation Chamber selected Jor-El’s name from the Register of Citizens and approached Seyg-El with the proposition. Seyg-El realized that his son had not yet participated in the Kryptonian rite of passage into adulthood, but felt it prudent to inform him of the great opportunity the Lords had bestowed upon him.
Jor-El was indeed honored for the chance to continue the family line, but brought his father great embarrassment when he requested to actually meet the woman with whom he would procreate. Seyg-El considered such an appeal extremely unorthodox by the sterile traditions of Kryptonian culture, and subsequently flew into a rage. However, the Master of the Gestation Chambers granted the request, and Jor-El soon married the young librarian, Lara.
A few short years later, the after-effects of the Green Plague worsened. Krypton’s core grew unstable and produced a chain reaction of seismic catastrophes that ultimately destroyed the planet. Seyg-El and millions of other Kryptonians died in the explosion.
Alura In-Ze was a native of the planet Krypton who lived in Argo City. She was the wife of scientist Zor-El and the mother of Kara Zor-El, aka, Supergirl.
Utilizing Brainiac’s technology, Alura and the people of Argo City survived the destruction of Krypton. Sensing the utilization of his force field tech, Brainiac returned and integrated those individuals who he deemed valuable into the bottle city of Kandor. Alura’s daughter, Kara, was able to escape Brainiac’s reach as she was sent to Earth to join her cousin, Kal-El.
Alura and her husband remained on Brainiac’s ship for many years, but succeeded in making a life for themselves. Some time ago, Brainiac came to the planet Earth with the intent of appropriating their various cultures as well. He came into conflict with Alura’s nephew Superman who defeated Brainiac and liberated Kandor. He relocated Kandor not far from his arctic Fortress of Solitude whereupon he restored it to it’s original size. The city then became known as New Krypton. The liberated citizens of Kandor were now free to do whatever they wanted.
Under a yellow sun, Alura’s (as well as the other Kryptonians) cell structure processed the ultraviolet radiation, enhancing her physical traits to superhuman levels. She could now fly, project blasts of thermal energy and perform Herculean feats of strength, just like Superman.
Alura’s husband, Zor-El, attempted to assimilate the Kandorians into regular Earth culture, but Alura didn’t share her husband’s idealism. She believed that Earthlings were just a weaker, lesser version of Kryptonians. Having lived as a refugee for so many years, Alura was not ready to compromise any aspect of Kryptonian culture.
Without her husband’s knowledge, Alura employed the aid of a Kandorian military contingent led by Commander Gor. Believing that Superman’s more dangerous adversaries represented a threat to not only Superman, but to all Kryptonians, she instructed Commander Gor to abduct several known felons from Stryker’s Island Penitentiary and relocate them to the Phantom Zone. This incident proved highly controversial as several Science Police guards at Stryker’s were killed during the prison break. When Superman learned of the unfortunate deaths, he pleaded with Zor-El and Alura to help bring these renegade Kryptonians to justice. Alura didn’t reveal the part that she played in this controversey, but also didn’t express any remorse either.
Alura’s commitment towards Kryptonian ideals took a bitter turn when two known agents of Project 7734, Metallo and Reactron invaded New Krypton and murdered Zor-El. Alura presided over her husband’s funeral services.
Following this, Alura continued working on a project originally begun by Zor-El. Using elements of the Sunstone crystal, as well as reverse-engineered components of the original Brainiac probes, Alura activated a device that uprooted all of New Krypton from the Earth. The city-state flew into the sky and took position around the sun on the opposite orbit of Earth. She publicly declared that since Kryptonians were obviously no longer welcome on Earth, then Earthlings (as well as Superman) would not be permitted on New Krypton.
Krypto is Superman‘s dog, a canine-like species from the planet Krypton.
The original Krypto
As explained in his first appearance, Krypto was originally the toddler Kal-El’s dog while they were on Krypton. Jor-El, testing prototypes for the rocket that would eventually send Kal-El to Earth, decided to use Krypto as a test subject. However, Krypto’s rocket was knocked off-course; the rocket drifted through space for years until it eventually landed on Earth, where Krypto was reunited with the now-teenaged superhero, Superboy.
Krypto has a surprisingly violent reaction to Kara Zor-El when he first encounters her. The dog happens upon the girl while she was exploring the Fortress of Solitude and attacks, going so far as to use his heat vision and other potentially lethal attacks. Batman, who distrusted Kara at that time, pointed this out as an argument that Kara might not be who she says she is when he remarks “Doesn’t it bother you at all that the dog hates her?” Superman’s response was “It’s his job to protect the fortress while he’s here. Besides…the dog hates everybody.”
Some time later, Superman left Krypto in Superboy’s care, saying that Smallville‘s open spaces were a better place for the dog, and that Superboy could use a friend (as shown in Teen Titans vol. 3, #7). Their relationship had a shaky start, not helped by Krypto getting Superboy in trouble with the superheroine Starfire for destroying her alien garden.
However, they have slowly developed a close friendship, in which Krypto willingly does anything he can to protect Conner. One example of this loyalty was Krypto’s quick defense of Conner from an enraged Superboy-Prime. He bit Superboy-Prime in the shoulder. Although Krypto was injured with a punch sending him bouncing down the main street of Smallville, this only strengthened his relationship with Conner. Unfortunately Superboy perishes in battle while destroying a multiverse influence tower that Superboy-Prime helped build.
Powers and Abilities
Krypto is smart for a dog but his intelligence is not on par with that of a human. He possesses a general understanding of speech, and can take direction well. He is also shown to be smart enough to understand most situations involving humans and can take initiative on his own to save the day when needed. He is also very protective of his family and can be ruthless against threats to it.
He possesses an even more keen sense of hearing and smell than Superman (as would be expected of a superdog) and his strength and speed is also proportionate (meaning he is faster but doesn’t have the sheer strength of Superman). Due to Krypto’s Kryptonian biology he also possesses many of Superman’s other abilities, most notable his near physical invulnerability and the power to defy gravity.
Fortress of Solitude
Traditionally, the Fortress of Solitude is located in the Arctic,though more recent versions of the Superman comics have placed the Fortress in other locations, including the Antarctic, the Andes, and the Amazon rainforest. The general public in Superman’s world is either unaware or at best only vaguely aware of the existence of the Fortress, and its location is kept secret from all but Superman’s closest friends and allies. A trademark of the Fortress is that it contains a memorial statue of Jor-El and Lara, Superman’s Kryptonian parents, holding a large globe of Krypton.
The Fortress of Solitude
The impenetrable fortress, carved out of a mountainside amidst the barren Arctic wastes, and serving as both as a retreat and a headquarters, it is Superman‘s secret sanctuary. Far from civilization with an extraordinary trophy room, it houses the hard won memorabilia of more than a thousand adventures, a workshop and super-laboratory, where Superman labors in search of an antidote to kryptonite and performs other experiments and the gymnasium and recreation facilities where Superman exercises, relaxes, and indulges in a variety of super hobbies. It also houses an interplanetary zoo, containing live species of wildlife from distant planets, as well as special rooms and memorials in honor of Superman’s parents, foster parents, and closest friends. The Fortress of Solitude is also home to the amazing bottle city of Kandor, a city of the planet Krypton that was reduced to microscopic size and stolen by the space villain Brainiac sometime prior to the death of Krypton.
In the Fortress of Solitude, there are also special monitors for communicating with Kandor, the undersea realm of Atlantis, the Phantom Zone, countless distant planets, and alien dimensions. The Fortress of Solitude also houses an incredible collection of Superman-robots, other special equipment, numerous other rooms, exhibits, weapons, machines, and scientific devices. Indeed, since the invasion of the Fortress of Solitude by an outsider could result in the placing of these devices in the hands of evildoers, as well as endanger Superman’s secret identity, the exact location of the Fortress of Solitude remains one of the world’s most closely guarded secrets.
The Phantom Zone is an interdimensional realm outside the normal space/time continuum. It is a barren and insubstantial null area absent of any physical material. There is only one native denizen to the Phantom Zone, the enigmatic and powerful entity known as the Aethyr. All cause and effect that occurs within the zone does so at Aethyr’s capricious whim. People who travel into the negative zone are no longer corporeal and exist only as psychic phantasms of their true selves. Though their minds and personalities remain intact, they can no longer physically interact with any other being. This includes direct physical contact as well as the power of speech. Communication within the Phantom Zone is done so by telepathy. As the Phantom Zone exists outside of space/time, those within it are no longer subject to the rigors of age or illness, rendering them effectively immortal – and they also require no sleep, food or air.
Many years ago, the penal system of the planet Krypton sentenced their criminals by placing them in suspended animation. The Kryptonian scientist Jor-El discovered the existence of the Phantom Zone and introduced it as an alternative means of imprisonment. He had little knowledge of the true inner workings of the zone, but believed that it was a more humane form of punishment over that which they had previously employed. He developed a projection device that could send people into and retrieve them from the zone with the simple flick of a black button and a white button respectively. The first prisoner to be exiled to the Phantom Zone was the renegade scientist Jax-Ur. Jax-Ur, a former colleague of Jor-El’s, was responsible for the destruction of Krypton’s moon Wegthor and the deaths of over five-hundred lunar colonists. Over a short expanse of time, the Kryptonian Science Council began exiling the worst of the planet’s criminals into the zone, the most famous of which was the military insurrectionist General Zod.
When Jor-El later discovered that Krypton was going to explode due to geological instability, he proposed bringing the entire population of Krypton into the zone. Jor-El never had the opportunity or approval to conduct such a plan, and ultimately everyone living on the planet Krypton died when it exploded.
Those within the Phantom Zone survived however. It was years before they ever learned the truth about their home-world’s destruction. Several of the exiled criminals, now led by General Zod, found a means of escaping the zone and eventually came to Earth where they battled the “Last Son” of Krypton, Jor-El’s son Kal-El.
It was later revealed that the Phantom Zone is in fact the mythical “Underworld”, home to the likes of Hades, Annyn, Erishkagal and Pluto.
Dru-Zod was head of the military on Krypton, specifically bred and raised to fulfil this role Zod is utterly committed to both the safety of Krypton and it’s people. Zod worked alongside Jor-El, Jor-El was in charge of the planets sciences and worked in tandem with Zod to defend Krypton, however when Jor-El learned that Krypton’s core is close to collapse Zod took it upon himself to lead a revolution against the current Kryptonian elders in order to secure the continuation of the Kryptonian race. However, Jor-El was disgusted by Zod’s ruthlessness and willingness for war.
Whilst Zod waged his civil war against the Kryptonian elders, Jor-El took his opportunity to steal the artefact known as the codex which contained the DNA of the entire Kryptonian race. Jor-El planned to use it to preserve the Kryptonian race on another world, whilst Zod desired the codex to cultivate himself an army in order to conquest new worlds. Zod chased down Jor-El amidst the warring factions, and soon learned that Jor-El and Lara had produced a naturally born son, Kal-El. Zod attempted to retrieve the codex by force, though Jor-El managed to fend off whilst Lara launched both the codex and Kal-El into space to escape the dying Krypton. The fight with Jor-El left Zod with a large wound on the side of his face, but Zod gained the upper hand and fatally stabbed Jor-El. Just before Zod could attempt to retrieve Kal-El’s pod, he and his generals were apprehended by the Kryptonian elders.
Zod and his associates were banished to the Phantom Zone for the crimes they had committed, Zod himself berating the elders for prolonging their suffering by imposing exile rather than quickly executing them. Before he was entombed in the Phantom Zone, Zod swore to Lara that he would find her son. Soon after their banishment, Krypton’s core exploded and the planet and its inhabitants were destroyed, thus releasing Zod and his generals. They scoured the galaxy looking for surviving Kryptonians, only to find ruined Kryptonian machinery and nothing more.
Powers and Abilities
- Kryptonian Physiology: As a Kryptonian, Zod’s alien body adapted to Earth’s atmosphere and gravity and absorbed the yellow radiation emitted by the Sun. This process of adaption granted him superhuman powers, whose intensity increased, as long as he kept being exposed to Earth’s environment. While Zod’s body initially had problems adapting to the new planet’s atmosphere, he was able to do so shortly before his final battle with Kal-El.
- Super Strength: while under a yellow sun, Zod possesses incredible, potentially incalculable superhuman strength. He used it to easily fling cars and trucks, break through metal walls, and fight fellow Kryptonian Kal-El in hand-to-hand combat. His mighty punches generate visible shock waves, and sent Kal-El flying vast distances, with enough force to penetrate several skyscrapers before even starting to slow down.
- Super Speed: Zod can run, fly and react at incredible supersonic speeds (at least March 3). During his final battle, Zod was able to land several blows on Kal-El before the latter could react. Only other Kryptonians and the speedster Flash rival him in this regard.
- Invulnerability: The enhancing process that Earth’s yellow sun environment did to Zod’s skin, bones and muscles made him incredibly tough, durable, and virtually indestructible. He was able to fly into outer space without any problems (during his final battle), he also withstood the explosion of a gas station, and numerous mighty blows from Kal-El, all without sustaining any kind of permanent damage. Zod is also immune to earthly diseases and viruses. However, he can be damaged by magic (which completely by passes his invulnerability, directly affecting his physiology) and Kryptonite. Only other Kryptonians can generate enough force to break through his invulnerability, such as when Kal-El managed to break Zod’s extremely durable neck, killing him.
- Flight: Zod is able to use his great strength to perform super jumps, such as when he scaled a tall building in only a few leaps, while pursuing Kal-El. However, shortly thereafter, he learned to manipulate the force of gravity around him, which grants him the power to levitate and fly. Zod can fly also in space, not only in Earth atmosphere, and he can reach supersonic speeds (of at least Mach 3) at will. This ability allows him to maneuver with precision in any direction, as well as hover in one place.
- Heat Vision: Zod can project thick laser-like concentrated beams of intensified heat from his eyes. He used this power to quickly melt large metal beams with ease, bring down a skyscraper, and threatened to use it to murder several innocent bystanders.
- X-Ray Vision: When his visor first broke open, Zod was initially overwhelmed by the sudden intensity of his x-ray vision (which enabled him to see through objects and people), and was unable to control it. However, he was finally able to gain control over it through focus before his final battle. Lead appears to be the only substance that Kryptonian x-ray vision cannot penetrate.
- Super Hearing: When his visor first broke open, Zod was initially overwhelmed by the sudden intensity of his hearing (which enabled him to simultaneously perceive numerous feeble and far noises very clearly), and was unable to control it. However, he was finally able to gain control over it through focus before his final battle, now being able to exclude ambient sounds in order to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Longevity: The solar energy in his cells halts the cellular decay.
- Expert Combatant: as the Commanding Officer of the Kryptonian Warrior Guild, Zod is a fierce and ruthless combatant, being skilled in several Kryptonian martial arts. He initially maintained the upper hand in his final battle with Kal-El, though the latter was finally able to get Zod in a headlock by the end of it
“You are weak, son of El, unsure of youself. The fact that you possess a sense of morality and we do not, give us an evolutionary advantage. And if history has proven anything, it is that evolution always wins. “―Man of Steel
Powers and Abilities
- Kryptonian Physiology: As a Kryptonian, Faora’s alien body adapted to Earth’s atmosphere and gravity and absorbed the yellow radiation emitted by the Sun, which granted her superhuman powers.
- Super Strength: while under a yellow sun, Faora possessed incredible, potentially incalculable superhuman strength, enough to effortlessly break a man’s neck, shatter concrete, break through thick metal walls and doors, and fight fellow Kryptonian Kal-El in hand-to-hand combat. In fact, Faora was able to hurl him to the other side of Smallville, while her blows were powerful enough to send him flying and visibly hurt him. Together with Nam-Ek, she was also able to force Kal-El back down when the latter tried to fly up into the air. However, she was still not quite as strong as Kal-El, due to the latter’s superior solar-energy supply.
- Super Speed: Faora can run and react at incredible speeds, allowing her to overpower many soldiers within seconds, without them being able to even react.
- Invulnerability: The enhancing process that Earth’s yellow sun environment did to Faora’s skin, bones and muscles made her incredibly tough, durable, and virtually indestructible. She withstood high-caliber bullets shot by military jets and helicopters, which knocked her back, but did not wound her in the slightest. She also withstood the explosion of a military plane, Kal-El’s heat vision attack (though it caused her burning pain), and numerous mighty blows from the younger Kryptonian without any kind of permanent damage. However, she was left disoriented and in agony when the breather that allowed her enhanced senses to be stable (without her having to learn to hone them) was destroyed by Kal-El, greatly weakening her durability, to the point that a direct hit from a powerful missile knocked her unconscious. She is also immune to earthly diseases and viruses. However, Faora can be damaged by magic (which completely bypasses her invulnerability, directly affecting her physiology) and Kryptonite xenominerals.
- Super Leaps: Faora is able to use her incredible strength to perform super jumps, shown when she leaped into the Kents’ barn, and when she almost leaped onto a flying military jet (only to be stopped by Kal-El just in time).
- Expert Combatant: as an illustrious member of the Kryptonian Warrior Guild, Faora is a fierce and ruthless combatant, being extremely skilled in a vast array of Kryptonian martial arts. She easily gained the upper hand against Kal-El in a duel, and was only incapacitated after her visor broke open. Faora might also have some skill in wielding bladed weaponry, since she was about to attack Colonel Nathan Hardy with a Kryptonian combat knife.
Nam-Ek appeared alongside Zod during the latter’s attempted coupe, and was apprehended and sentenced to the Phantom Zone with them. This was only temporary; when Krypton’s core collapsed and the planet exploded, Nam-Ek was freed along with his fellow soldiers, and accompanied them across the galaxy, searching for signs of life, but found nothing but death, decaying machinery. They salvaged what they could, and then travelled to Earth upon receiving a distress beacon from the scout ship, unintentionally triggered by Kal-El.Nam also travelled with Zod and Faora to the Kent household to search for the codex, supposedly hidden within Kal-El’s capsule. When an enraged Kal-El violently attacked Zod, Nam-Ek and Faora approached Kal-El, prepared to fight him. Before they could attack him, however, they themselves were fired upon by military A-10 Warthogs, knocking them backwards. Nam-Ek recovered quickly, and leaped onto one of the approaching planes. He tore open the cockpit and ripped the pilot apart with his bare hands, causing the plane to crash, resulting in a massive explosion. Kal-El tackled Faora out of the air when she tried to do the same, and Nam-Ek came to her aid, easily dominating the younger Kryptonian. Faora turned her attention to the soldiers, leaving Nam to battle Kal-El by himself. About this time, Nam started to lose ground against the rookie warrior, who dazed him with a flurry of blows. Kal-El dragged Nam-Ek into the air and pummeled the larger Kryptonian, catapulting him into a trainyard and knocking him out. Kal-El turned his attention to Faora, destroying her helmet. Nam-Ek regained consciousness, however, and hurled a massive train car at Kal-El, plowing into a nearby Sears. He seized the opening to collect Faora’s unconscious body and board the gunship, which then returned to the Black Zero.
- Kryptonian Physiology: As a Kryptonian, Nam-Ek’s alien body adapted to Earth’s atmosphere and gravity and absorbed the yellow radiation emitted by the Sun, which granted him superhuman powers.
- Super Strength: while under a yellow sun, Nam-Ek possessed incredible, potentially incalculable superhuman strength, enough to effortlessly shatter concrete, hurl a truck, break through thick metal walls and doors, and fight fellow Kryptonian Kal-El in hand-to-hand combat. In fact, his blows were powerful enough to visibly hurt the latter, and his massive size allowed him to initially overwhelm the younger Kryptonian. Together with Faora, he was also able to force Kal-El back down when the latter tried to fly up into the air. However, Kal-El still outclassed him in terms of brute strength (due to his superior solar energy supply), and was later able to overpower him.
- Super Speed: Despite his massive size, Nam-Ek can run and react at incredible speeds, and was able to land several brutal blows on Kal-El before the latter could react.
- Invulnerability: The enhancing process that Earth’s yellow sun environment did to Nam-Ek’s skin, bones and muscles made him incredibly tough, durable, and virtually indestructible. He withstood high-caliber bullets shot by military jets and helicopters, which knocked him back, but did not wound him in the slightest. He also withstood the explosion of a military plane, Kal-El’s heat vision attack, and quite a few mighty blows from the younger Kryptonian (some of which only staggered him), all without any kind of permanent damage. He is also immune to earthly diseases and viruses. However, he can be damaged by magic (which completely bypasses his invulnerability, directly affecting his physiology) and Kryptonite.
- Super Leaps: Nam-Ek is able to use his incredible strength to perform super jumps, shown when he easily leaped onto a flying military jet, and when he quickly caught up to Kal-El, when the latter tried to fly up into the air.
- Combatant: as a member of the Kryptonian Warrior Guild, Nam-Ek is a fierce and ruthless combatant, though his fighting style is one based more on brute force and his huge hulk-like physique rather than martial arts. He dominated Kal-El for most of their first battle, though he had some help from Faora.
Among the Phantom Zone criminals were:
- Kru-El, the weapon’s designer cousin of Jor-El, and thus a relative of Superman.
- Faora Hu-Ul, a Martial Arts expert and hater of males, was another criminal who was reproduced in a tamer form for the movie Superman II where her name was changed to Ursa.
- Professor Va-Kox, a geneticist who created monsters, was another Phantom Zone criminal.
- Nadira (last name unknown who was a telekinetic) and Az-Rel (a Kryptonian pyrokinetic) were two petty criminals from the Krypton Isle of Bokos (the Island of Thieves, much like Australia used to be here on Earth).
- Jax-Ur, a rocket & missile engineer who accidentally destroyed one of Krypton’s two moons and a populated moon of millions and the only criminal sentenced to spend all existence within the Phantom Zone, without the possibility of any kind of parole and is considered Krypton’s worst criminal.
- Quex-Ul was the only innocent person sentenced to the Phantom Zone. Quex-Ul was put in the Phantom Zone for killing a herd of the sacred Rondors. Rondor horns had healing properties and were therefore sacred to Kryptonians. Quex-Ul was caught at the scene of the crime and was convicted and sentenced to 25 Sun Cycles in the Phantom Zone. Superman proved his innocence and released him and Quex-Ul in turn saved Superman from exposure to Gold Kryptonite.
- Ak-Var was a petty criminal who upon his release became the assistant and partner of Superman’s cousin, Van-Zee. Van-Zee was a Kandorian scientist who was secretly Nightwing with Ak-Var as his partner Flamebird.
- Doctor Xadu (first name unknown) was a physician who killed dozens of patients while performing forbidden cryogenics experiments upon them.
- And finally there was General Dru-Zod, who created an army of clones in an attempt to take over as ruler of Krypton.
New Phantom Zone Criminals
Later others who survived Krypton’s destruction became criminals. These criminals were also sentenced to serve time within the Phantom Zone.
- Jer-Em, who caused the destruction of Argo City, the birth place of Supergirl.
- A jealous Kryptonian female from the bottle city of Kandor named Zora Vi-Lar (who took on the name of Black Flame) escaped from Kandor to fight Supergirl.
- And then there was Nam-Ek, who was the Kryptonian who killed the Rondor herd and used their horns to become immortal. Superman found Nam-Ek floating in space and rescued him, but the transformation into an immortal being had turned Nam-Ek into a bipedal version of a Rondor and also drove him to insanity.
Innocent Phantom Zone Residents
Some were forced to put themselves into the Phantom Zone to save themselves from death or destruction. Among these are:
- Mon-El, a Daxamite who befriended Superboy but was accidentally exposed to lead, and had to be put in the phantom zone before he died.
Lar Gand was born on Daxam in the 20th century. He was a seeker who studied forbidden lore. Lar discovered the fate of Krypton and tracked down the rocket sent right before the planet exploded. He ended up in Smallville (without memories) and met Clark Kent who thought that they may be brothers (since Lar had spoken something about Krypton and Jor-El, and has displayed powers similar to Clark). Thinking him kin, Clark offered Lar to fashion a temporary name for himself, Mon-El (“Mon” for Monday, the day he came to Earth, “El” for Clark’s real name, Kal-El).
Powers and Abilities
Daxamite Physiology: Lar has got powers that are native to all Daxamites if they where in a solar system with a yellow sun, similar to Kryptonians.
- Light Gravity Augmentation: Like Superboy, born on a giant world with a heavy gravity, Mon-El’s muscles automatically become super-strong in Earth’s light gravity. From this source, Mon-El also acquires his super-strength, super-breath, super-speed and flying.
- Superhuman Strength
- Superhuman Speed
- Superhuman Breath
- Superhuman Stamina
- Flight: Mon-El can fly in speeds almost uncomprehendable to an ordinary human being.
- Soler Radiation Absorption: Born under the influence of Daxam’s red sun, the ultra solar rays of Earth’s yellow sun can super-energize his brain and five senses to give him other, non-muscular, super-powers, such as super-senses and mental powers, x-ray vision, telescopic vision, microscopic vision, super-hearing, super-memory and super-calculations.
- Invulnerability: Also, yellow-sun rays, which only tan Earth people’s skin, harden Mon-El’s skin like steel. Neither radium rays, nor lightning, nor fire can harm him, making him virtually invulnerable.
- Superhuman Senses
- Acute Hearing
- Telescopic Vision
- Microscopic Vision
- X-ray Vision:
- Heat Vision
- Mon-El possesses strength equal to that of Superman.
Vision Limitation: Mon-El’s x-ray vision cannot penetrate lead or lead-lined walls. It also cannot penetrate inertron, the most indestructible substance in the 31st century universe. The heat of his x-ray vision cannot melt lead, unless it is a very thin lining.
Magic: Mon-El is also vulnerable to magic.
Lead: Unlike Kryptonians, whose super-powers are driven from them by the radioactive remnants of their home world, a Daxamite’s major weakness is his vulnerability to lead, which does not exist on their planet. Another difference is that, while Green Kryptonite can eventually kill Kryptonians after prolonged exposure, once it is removed the pain eases and the Kryptonian’s strength and powers eventually return to him/her. For Mon-El and Daxamites, any exposure to lead causes pain and weakness permanently, even after he is taken to safety. Before a cure was found, Mon-El had to stay in the Phantom Zone, without a corporal body, in order to stay alive. He was only ever able to exit the Zone permanently after Brainiac 5 invented an “anti-lead seru
- Raya, Jor-El’s assistant, put herself in the Zone before Krypton‘s destruction.
- Zoltar, a kindly old Kryptonian man trapped in the Zone, who helped Supergirl to escape.
- Chris Kent, aka Lor-Zod, is the son of General Zod and Ursa, born in the Phantom Zone. Although he’s abused by his parents, he has a good heart, and was briefly adopted by Superman before becoming trapped in the zone again.